Come winter time and most of the people fall prey to the problem of cough and cold. Amongst all the symptoms of the ailment, the most irritating one is that of a stuffy nose. You are not able to breathe properly and sleeping becomes like a torture. More often than not, a stuffy nose is also accompanied by a kind of heaviness in the head. Though cold takes its own sweet time to go away, you can certainly cure the problem of a stuffy nose with some home remedies. To help you out in the task, we have provided some home remedies that come handy in curing a stuffy nose, without much effort on your part.
Home Cures For Stuffy Nose
- Put ¼ tsp salt in 1 cup water and boil for 10 minutes. Let it cool and put 6-10 drops into each nostril.
- Put 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar in 8 oz. water. Add two pinches of salt. Shake it well and put 2-3 drops into each nostril.
- Crush some cardamom seeds and put them in a handkerchief. Tie the hanky properly and place it near the pillow.
- Roast some cardamom seeds on a pan and inhale the smoke that comes from them.
- Sniffing onion, with the outer layers peeled off, has been found to be effective for clearing a stuffy nose.
- Try to avoid foods that are rich in sugar and carbohydrates, since they aggravate the problem of stuffy nose.
- Try consuming spicy foods, in moderation. They make your nose runny, thus curing the stuffiness.
- Consuming hot liquids is a nice way to get rid of stuffy nose. Chicken soup or any other soup, with ginger and garlic in it, would serve the purpose. You can also drink warm water with a pinch of salt in it, to help yourself get rid of stuffy nose.
- Mix tulsi, lemon juice and ginger juice in equal proportion. Add some honey. Eat this mixture twice in a day.
- Taking steam from boiling water, 2-3 times in a day, is a very good cure for stuffy nose. You can also add ajwain seeds for an added effect. Adding ¼ tsp of vaporub to the boiling water and taking steam can also cure the problem of stuffy nose.
- Stay away from cold foods as well as fried/oily foods. They will only worsen your problem.
- Reduce the intake of wheat and dairy products, as they can make the nose even stuffier.
- Breathing the steam from a hot shower is found to be a very effective home remedy for stuffy nose. It cuts the mucus, which is the reason for heaviness in the head and the stuffy nose.
- Make a paste of fresh menthol leaves. Rub the paste under your nostrils, before going to bed. Next morning, you will find yourself free of the problem of stuffy nose.
- The way of sleeping can also bring about a change in the condition of stuffy nose. While sleeping, pressure of the nasal fluid can build up, making the nose stuffy. So, place two pillows under your head, while sleeping. Do not forget to keep your head elevated when you sleep.