A head louse (Pediculus humanus capitis) is a minute critter that feeds on human blood. Presence of these wingless vampires on the body can be downright annoying for the host, as it leads to continuous itching and scratching of the bug-ridden area. There are different types of lice, the most common being head lice. Adult lice dwell and crawl in the human scalp, whereas the nits (louse eggs) stick to the hair shafts and resemble small dandruff flakes. It is easy to get rid of adult lice from the head, but eliminating nits call for a tiring battle. With these helpful home remedies, learn how to get rid of head lice easily.
Cures and Treatments for Lice
- Apply generous amount of coconut oil and brush the hair with a very fine-toothed louse or nit comb.
- Apply equal proportion of vinegar and baby oil in the hair. Cover the head with a shower cap for 1 hr and wash. Else, you can use vinegar as a final hair rinse after shampooing.
- Make a solution using 3 tsp olive oil, 2 tsp eucalyptus oil and 2 tsp tea tree oil and mix it to your regular shampoo. Use it for washing the hair.
- Saturate your hair with equal amount of olive oil, eucalyptus oil and tea tree oil. Cover head with a shower cap or plastic bag for half an hour and wash.
- Make a paste of lemon and butter. Apply it generously on the scalp and hair shafts, leave for 15-20 minutes and wash.
- Take some mayonnaise and massage it on your head. After 2 hours, vigorously comb with a nit comb and then wash.
- Smear lots of petroleum jelly on your hair. Leave overnight and wash in the morning.
- Take some rosemary drops and apply them on hair.
- You can also use Listerine antiseptic mouthwash to wash and rinse your hair.
- Take some unsalted margarine and melt it. Once it cools, apply it on hair, comb and then wash.
- Mix one cup of lemon juice to 1 tsp mashed ginger. Douse your hair in the mixture, leave overnight and wash in the morning.
- Lastly, never compromise with your health and hygiene. Regularly clean your hair, and do not share your personal belongings, like combs, brushes, towels, hair bands, clips, scarves and hats, with others.