Hot flashes are the most common side effects of menopause. They are generally caused by the hormonal changes during menopause. They are usually experienced by most women in moderation however a few percentage of women even experiences severe hot flashes and may even need medical attention. Hot flash is characterized generally by intense, impulsive, hot feeling on the face and body accompanied by increased heartbeats and sweating. Sometimes a woman experiences even weakness, headaches, or dizziness with the hot flashes. It is always better to consult a physician in case of excessive hot flashes. However, it can also be combated with natural methods. Read on to know how to get rid of hot flashes.
Ways To Get Rid Of Hot Flashes
- Opt for loose-fitting cotton clothes and wear them in layers. When you wear the clothes in layer, you can peel them off if you get hot flashes. Also, avoid wearing woolen, synthetic, and silk fabric. Go for open necked shirts and avoid turtleneck or any closed neck clothing, as it will make you feel hotter.
- Take cool showers two or three times a day and keep the ice water handy. It will help you when the hot flashes hit. Also, don’t forget to bathe every night before retiring to bed.
- You can also practice deep breathing techniques especially during when you get hot flashes. It will help calm you down and will help in reducing them.
- Increase your water intake to at least eight glasses per day. It will help the toxins flow out of the body, keep you hydrated and will you cool from inside and minimize the hot flashes.
- Although smoking and drinking is never healthy, it is actually very harmful in case of hot flashes. Smoking and drinking will make you feel hotter and even contribute to hot flashes.
- Incorporate exercises, yoga, and meditation in your lifestyle. It will help you eliminate your stress and that will help in decreasing the number of hot flashes.
- Pay attention to your diet. Include leafy vegetables and fruits in your diet. Fruits with higher amount of water like watermelon will keep you cool and help you get rid of hot flashes.
- Some studies show that soy and soy products are very good in getting rid of hot flashes. Incorporate soy and soy products in your lifestyle.
- Keep your room airy and cool down the environment as much as you can. Avoid going out in hot outdoors. Keep a cold pillow and lie down on it when hot flashes hit you. You can also keep cups of ice chips in hand all the time.
- Avoid fatty and junk foods and all vegetable oils. Opt for olive oil and increase the intake of vitamins in your diet. Also, avoid caffeinated beverages in order to reduce hot flashes.
- Ask your doctor about vitamin E supplements. Vitamin E helps in reducing the number of hot flashes and so incorporating it in your diet may be very good.
- You can also take advice of your physician for estrogen supplements. When the estrogen level is normal, the number of hot flashes reduces.
- Increase your calcium intake and control your blood sugar level to keep yourself cool and minimize the number of hot flashes.
- Take herbs to reduce hot flashes hit. A herb called as Dong Quai (female ginseng) really helps in getting rid of hot flashes and brings relaxation. Hawthorn berries, black and blue cohosh, yam root, evening primrose oil, red raspberry leaves, sarsaparilla, licorice root, spearmint, are some other herbs, which are beneficial in getting rid of hot flashes. However, it is always better to consult your physician before you use these herbs.
- In some cases, even acupuncture treatment has also been found effective. But then again it is always good to consult the doctor before you go for it.
- Medication like Tylenol is also widely used by women suffering from hot flashes. Even mild antidepressants have worked for many women. Ask your physician about it and steer clear of saunas and take the coolest place at your workstation.
- If hot flashes are unbearable and you’re not able to concentrate on your lifestyle properly then consult your doctor about HRT (hormone replacement therapy).