Dust mites are small insects, which are quite commonly found in houses. They usually feed on organic detritus such as flakes of shed human skin. They are controlled by micro-predators or by direct sunlight. Moreover, they are detrimental to human health as they are a major cause for many diseases such as asthma and allergic conditions. This makes getting rid of them extremely essential. Due to their microscopic sizes, dust mites can even be transported airborne by the minor air currents generated by normal household activities. Dust mites usually resides in homes, as it is where you spend the most significant amount of time and shed most epidermis. Although it is actually impossible to get rid of dust mites, altogether, you could minimize their presence in your home. In case, all the above information is making you wonder how to get rid of them, read the tips given below.
Tips To Get Rid Of Dust Mites
- One of the common hideouts for dust mites is your bed, where you spend a significant amount of time. To keep them away, make sure you change bed sheets and pillows regularly.
- Chairs and couches is yet another breeding center of dust mites. Dust your chair and couches regularly so that they remain clean, leaving low scope for them to breed.
- Carpets also tend to house dust mites, as they gather lot of dust particles. To prevent them from finding shelter there, vacuum your carpet regularly. If you want you could steam clean your carpet, it will also kill most of the dust mites.
- Dust mites reside in warm and stable temperature. Therefore, keep your house ventilated and full of sunlight, which will give them less opportunity to live.
- Clean your A/C and ductwork on a regular basis, as they commonly breed there.
- Get rid of clutter in your house as it provides them enough material to prey on.
- You can use Eucalyptus oil to kill as well as to keep dust mites away.
- Wash your pillows and upholstery in hot water, which also helps in getting rid of dust mites. Heat is the major enemy of dust mites and you could use it to kill them. Wash your bedding, mattress, pillow and pillowcase, bedspread, blankets etc with hot water.
- You could buy bedding materials made of vellux as other fabrics may get damaged because of excess hot water washing. After drying the bedding, mattresses, etc in the sunlight, you could cover them with dust mite proof covers.
- It is also necessary to vacuum the bed, headboard etc at least once a week. You could also use a vinyl shade instead of using curtains in the room as curtains collects so much dust mites.
- Also getting rid of your pillows, which have been in use for more than two years, would be a good option. Discard your feather and down pillows, as these are absolute dust mites’ magnets.
- Never in any case smoke inside your room, as that will just bring more dust mites. Also, don’t let any kind of smoke get inside your room.
- Keeping the temperature low also helps in keeping the mites away. For this, you could use your air conditioner. Set the temperature to lowest on which you can easily survive.
- You could also make use of allergens sprays as these too kill a lot of dust mites.
- You also need to make sure that moisture doesn’t stay inside the rooms. You could take the use of dehumidifier to keep the humidity away from home.