Come winters and most of us face the problem of dry and itchy scalp. While dandruff is the leading cause for the problem, hair products build-up and unbalanced diet are also factors that lead to the problem. Seborrheic dermatitis, scalp psoriasis, contact dermatitis, head lice infestation and ring worm of the scalp are other reasons causing dryness and itchiness in the scalp. However, did you know that the problem of dryness and itching can be solved just by following some simple measures? The best feature about theses measures is that they help you get rid of the problem with ease. To get detailed information on how to get rid of dry itchy scalp, read through the tips given in the following lines.
Getting Rid Of Dry Itchy Scalp
- Usage of wrong hair care products is the foremost reason for drying scalp. So, the best way to get rid of the dryness would be to change the products. Get a mild shampoo or conditioner. A moisturizing shampoo would also be a good option to explore.
- Some people indulge in regular shampooing. If you are one among those, it is best advisable to cut down your frequency of shampooing. Too much of shampooing strips the scalp of natural oils, thereby causing dryness and itchiness.
- At the time of washing your hair, make sure you use lukewarm water. Cold water strips the natural oils from the scalp that help keep it from drying out.
- Dehydration is one of the leading causes for dryness and itchiness. Thus, it is best advisable to drink 8 oz. glasses of water every day.
- Rising stress levels can also lead to the problem of dryness and itchiness. So, the best bet would be to intake vitamin E and B supplements. These would help reduce the production of stress hormones, thereby lessening the problem.
- Rosemary has been found beneficial in treating dry itchy scalp. You can consume the herb by adding it in the food you prepare. For those who are not too fond of its taste, applying rosemary oil on the scalp would be a next best thing. Mix it with a little bit of olive oil before applying to the scalp. Leave the oil overnight and wash your hair the next morning. The dryness and the itching would surely be gone.
- Another good way to deal with dry itchy scalp would be by using vinegar. After rinsing your hair with a mild shampoo, wash it with a water and vinegar mixture. To prepare this mixture you need to mix 1 cup of vinegar in 3 cups of cool water.
- Massaging your scalp with tea tree oil has been found effective in getting rid of dryness and itchiness. All you need to do is apply the tea tree oil in the scalp and leave it for 15 minutes before rinsing your hair.
- Having a balanced diet is crucial to maintain the healthy being of your scalp. Do not binge on food containing animal fat or unsaturated vegetable oils. Chocolates, nuts, and foods containing iodized salt should also be avoided. A diet including green leafy vegetables, fish and chicken would be a perfect one.
- Do not scratch should be the mantra for those facing the problem of dry and itchy scalp. Remember, you may feel the urge to scratch but scratching would only worsen your problem.
- Another precautionary measure to prevent worsening the problem would be trim the nails and keep them neat and clean. This would help you avoid occurrence of any kind of infection.
- The kind of hair brush you use is also a matter of concern. Make sure you treat your hair with a clean and soft bristle hairbrush. It would help promote blood flow and also spread natural oils to alleviate the problem.