Zipper has become a ubiquitous item in the present-day world. Be it your shopping bag, handbag, wallet, laptop case, jeans, trousers or car seat covers, it is used almost every where. Even shoes have not been spared from the use of zippers. Though it is very convenient to use a zipper, the problem comes when it gets broken or separated. In such a case, what most of us do is rush to the nearest market to get it replaced. Wait! It is not always necessary to change a broken zip; you can fix it yourself too. Read on the following lines to know how to fix a broken zipper.
How to Repair a Zipper
- A Pair of Pliers/ Screwdriver/ Blunt Kitchen Knife
- Strong Thread
- With the pair of pliers, try to pry off the metal stop of the zipper. It is the little band situated at the bottom of the zipper, which is intended to stop the slider when you open the zip.
- In case you do not have a pair of pliers with you, make use of screwdriver or a blunt kitchen knife. Please be careful while using either of the two.
- After removing the stop, move the slider and bring it to the bottom of the zipper, just below the lowest teeth.
- Now, you have to realign the zipper’s teeth in such a way that they mesh smoothly with one another.
- The next step will comprise of moving the slider towards the top of the zip. Keep going till you have zipped up completely.
- Put the thread into the eye of the needle and tie a small, but string knot at the end of the thread.
- Make 6-7 stitches across the bottom of the zipper, the place where old stop initially was, by starting with your thread on the back side of the zipper.
- Tie a knot in the thread, after you have made 6-7 stitches and the thread is again on the back side of the zipper. Cut the thread with scissors and your zipper is as good as new.