‘Utopia’ or the ‘concept of an ideal world’, with perfect social, political and cultural systems, has been the dream of many a social reformers and cultural preachers, but the concept is unrealistic and impractical nonetheless. We live in a society where we have no control over other people’s speech and thoughts and no amount of law enforcements and restrictions can make them behave in a particular manner. As such, it would be foolish to believe that every people we encounter in our life will act in accordance with our desires and wishes. What you consider unpleasant and rude might be another person’s way of presenting and speaking.
It is just not possible to avoid meeting people who do not abide by your set rules of behavior and manners. Getting upset over such trivial matters and robbing oneself of one’s happiness would be yet another foolishness that you would be committing. The best way to deal with such situations would be to ‘accept’ the world as it is, with all its flaws and imperfections. Keep in mind that you can’t change others. However, this definitely doesn’t mean that you continuously put up with offensive and uncouth manners of other people. You should be able to judge the difference between right and wrong is and at what point you should stand up for yourself. Given below are certain tips on how you can deal with rude and foul behavior.
Tips To Handle Rude Behavior
- Wherever you go, whichever fields you work in, you are sure to encounter impolite people at some point of time. However, no matter how rude they are, it is just not worth the effort to be rude in return. If you respond in the same manner as the other person, then there will not be much difference between the two of you. Remember that rude responses create a vicious cycle, which gets transmitted from one person to another, leading to a lot of negative thoughts and emotions. The best way to deal with such responses is by completely ignoring the person who talks rudely.
- A very vital step is to bring change in one’s self and thoughts. This concept has been very beautifully depicted in Rhonda Byrne’s “The Secret”, which shows how focused positive thinking can bring life changing results. The book has received much critical acclaim and has even been enlisted as New York Times bestseller, conceptualizing on the “Laws of Attraction” and how inculcating good positive thoughts can bring change in your life and the world around you.
- Whenever a person tries to be rude with you and says something offensive, try to negate the effects by responding in a kind and sweet manner. This will make him/her look bad and he/she will be ashamed of him/her conduct. This technique works particularly well when there is an audience or a gathering to view it.
- When the above technique fails to cajole good behavior from a person, you can try the technique of a “good comeback”. Often you are taken off-guard by a rude remark or behavior and require some time to come back to your senses. However, if you are fast enough, a quick comment back to the person will stifle his rude behavior and backfire the situation.
- Direct confrontation is the ultimate step, which you can take to stop such outrageous behavior. Face the person head on and make him or her well aware of how such behavior is unappreciated. Strictly ask the other person to stop such a behavior.