Women do not just love buying beautiful things, they are also quite capable of, and love to make beautiful things at home. There was a time when women of higher standing just sat around in the house making small embroidery designs on handkerchiefs and making small crochet designs. In fact, the demand for crochet items increased during the Victorian era or the early 19th century – be it crochet designs for clothes or for cushion covers or ever dainty table cloths and baby clothes. The women of those times used their spare times to come up with dainty things that could well be put to use. With industrial revolution, came faster and less time consuming methods of acquiring crocheted items – like buying them! Also, as women began to enter the professional field and climbing the ladder higher and higher, they began to find less and less time to do the dainty stuff – so much so that they even stopped knitting sweaters for their first babies! Still, some people take up crochet as a hobby and can come up with beautiful stuff as they go along. All it requires is a ball of yarn, a crochet or tapestry needle, patience, and precision. Here’s how to make a simple crochet flower.
Learning To Crochet A Flower
Here are some simple steps that you can follow to make your own crochet flowers. First you will need to make a chain of thirty one stitches. Next, we need to make a row of connecting stitches and seven small petals to complete the flower. Here’s how to begin, after you have made the chain of thirty one.
- First row can be made by working a single crochet in the second chain from the hook, making a chain of two, skipping one chain, working a single crochet in the next chain and continuing across thus. You would have to make a chain of two and work a single crochet, next to the last single crochet to get about fifteen double loops.
- The first petal is made my making a chain of one, then four half double crochets, chain of one and then a slit stitch, all in the same chain loop.
- The second petal of this flower is made by making a chain of one, then six half double crochets, another chain of one and a slit stitch, all in the same chain loop.
- The third petal requires you to make a chain of one, then follow it with half double crochets a chain of one and a slit stitch, all in the same chain loop.
- For the fourth petal, you must make a chain of two followed by five double crochets, a chain of two and finally one slit stitch, all in the same chain loop.
- The fifth petal will need you to begin with a chain of one, three double crochets, a single crochet three more double crochets, a chain of one and a slit stitch, all in the same chain loop.
- The six petals consists of a chain of one, five triple or treble crochets, a chain of two and a slit stitch, all in the same chain loop.
- For the last and final petal, you must begin with a chain of two, three triple crochets, a half double crochet, three more triple crochets, a chain of two and a slit stitch, all in the same chain loop.
- When you are done with all the petals, cut off the long tail of the yarn, not too close to the flower that you have just made, secure all the petals and finally knot the tail.