Suede is a type of leather, which is made from the innermost layer of the hide. It is soft, supple, and cuddly in texture. Initially, suede was used to make only women’s gloves. However, with time, it came to be used in varied items, like shoes, handbags, coats, jackets, etc. It is also much less costly than the full-grain leather. Although suede is very hard to maintain, since it is very delicate, it is widely used because of its soft napped texture and matte finish. Cleaning suede is very tricky, as it doesn’t take kindly to harsh cleaning agents. In other words, you need to take extreme care while cleaning anything made from the material. However, with the help of few given tips, you will be able to clean it at home, without much difficulty. Read on to know how to clean suede.
- Invest in a suede eraser, which you would find it in your nearest super market. The eraser comprises of small particles that sit on the stain and make it easier to remove them. All you have to do is to rub it on the stained area, in the direction of the grain. However, this method is mostly applicable in case of suede shoes.
- If your suede is not too dirty, take a suede brush and sweep it gently on the material, to brush away the dirt. You can also use a pencil eraser to rub out the stain. After you have rubbed it, sweep the residue with the suede brush.
- Suede attracts watermark as well. If your suede has got wet accidentally, sandwich it between two towels, to absorb the water. Now, press the towels firmly, without harming the material. Remove the towels, let the material dry and then wipe it with a bath towel.
- You can invest in degreaser leather cleaner, if your suede has been oil-stained. Follow the instructions written on the back cover to clean your suede. However, do make sure to use it in a well-ventilated area, as it might lead to the release of fumes.
- If your suede is not that expensive, a mixture of water and vinegar can also be used for cleaning purposes.
- You can also use white vinegar to clean your suede. Dampen a clean cloth with vinegar and then rub it gently over the stained area. Now, allow it to air-dry, before putting it in the closet.
- The best way for cleaning expensive suede comprise of professional dry-cleaning. However, read the label before you narrow on the cleaning process.
- Never put your suede in washing machine or dryer. It is sure to get spoiled. Even hand washing is not suggested.