Is your lustrous, sparkling friend slowly losing its shine? Diamond owners would know what we are talking about. Diamonds are precious stones and all of us would love to keep them shining forever. However, did you know that diamonds are also magnets for dirt and grime? Surprised!! Applying lotions creams, hairspray, makeup and perfume, while putting on diamond jewelry, forms a film on your precious stone, making it look dull and lifeless. Most of you would agree that when a diamond is new, we are more inclined to protect the sparkle and shine. However, when the newness and excitement wearies down, we tend to get relaxed. One needs to realize that regardless of age, diamond must be properly cared for. The best way to take care of the diamonds is to indulge in cleaning them once every few months. If you are wondering how to clean diamonds, this article would come in handy. Happy cleaning your precious friend!!
Image: Jeffrey Beall@flickr
Best Ways Of Cleaning A Diamond At Home
Simple Soapy Solution
- Two Bowls
- Mild Dish Detergent
- Soft Toothbrush (preferably old one)
- Soft Cloth
- In a small bowl, mix a small amount of detergent with warm water, until it the bubbles start forming.
- Dip the diamond into the solution.
- Now, dip the toothbrush into the solution as well and gently clean the diamond with it.
- Once brushed, rinse the diamond in another bowl, containing warm water.
- After rinsing, pat it dry with a soft, lint-free cloth.
- Window/glass Cleaner with Ammonia
- Mild Detergent
- Small Dish
- Warm Water
- Small Strainer
- Soft-bristled Toothbrush
- Rubber Gloves
- Lint-free Cloth
- Rubber Gloves
- The first step would be to block the drain of the sink with a strainer. The last thing you want is to watch your precious companion slipping into the drain.
- Now, fill the sink with boiling hot water.
- Put on the rubber gloves and add a small amount of mild detergent to the hot water. Mix properly.
- Now, place a small bowl in the sink and immerse the diamond in it.
- Allow it to soak for about 10 minutes.
- Once the diamond has soaked, place it in another dish, containing the window cleaner. Soak the diamond for another 10 minutes.
- Gently brush the diamond to remove dirt and build-ups. Make sure you clean the back side of the diamond, as it is the prime area for build-ups.
- Now, place the diamond back in the detergent and water solution once again, swishing away any loose dirt.
- Once the above step is done, rinse the sparkling beauty in running hot water.
- Put the diamond over lint-free cloth and allow it to air dry.
- A toothpick can also be used for the cleaning process, but make sure that you are careful.
- Keep the diamond miles away from bleach, as it damages the metal and weakens the settings.
- In case your diamond has a small crack or inclusion, a sudden temperature change can deepen it further. So, dip your diamond in warm water before commencing the cleaning procedure.
- Lastly, do not make haste, lest you end up losing your precious friend altogether!