Crib is the first piece of furniture meant for the babies, used before they are moved into a real bed. Your baby will probably spend the maximum time sleeping or playing in the crib, than anywhere else. Hence, you should be very careful while choosing it. When buying a crib, comfort and safety should be given the supreme priority. There are certain parameters that decide whether a crib is really safe for your baby or not, such as its sturdiness, railing, slats, and so on. In case you are still not sure about buying a crib for your baby, make use of the tips provided in the lines below.
How to Buy a Crib
- First of all, make sure that the crib is sturdy. This is because babies are usually very restless and have a tendency to wobble around and play inside the crib when they are awake. So, check the toughness of the crib by shaking it a couple of times.
- The crib slats are the next feature that you should consider while buying a crib. The slats should be closer, so that there is no danger of baby getting stuck or slipped through the slats.
- The interiors of the crib should be spacious enough to accommodate a standard sized mattress. If there is any space between the mattress and the crib, which allows you to move your fingers easily, it might pose a danger of the baby getting his hands or legs trapped in the gap.
- The height of the mattress in the crib should be adjustable, so that you are able to change the elevation whenever you want. This is applicable when the child begins to sit up.
- While buying the crib, make sure that it does not contain any decorative touches. Fancy decorations along the rail may look pretty, but may pose a serious hazard if they are accidentally ripped off by small babies.
- Lastly, choose the crib that perfectly matches your home décor. With numerous choices available in the stores, it is easy to buy a safe crib that compliments your personal style as well.