Fishing is a fun experience for those who want to chill out during the weekends. It is even more exciting, when you catch your "prey" without spending the entire day, waiting for it to swim into your trap. When it comes to setting a strong fish trap, you should remember that the prey would not be locked in easily, unless you make the trap attractive with tasty bait. In addition, it should be strong enough to bear the weight of the trapped fish. In case you are interested in making a homemade trap, this article is just for you. With the instructions given below, learn how to build a fish trap.
How To Make A Homemade Fish Trap
- Wire Mesh Fabric
- Light Gauge Wire
- Mesh Bag
- The dimensions of your trap will depend upon the size and type of fish that you are going to catch.
- For the small variety fish, such as minnows, you will need a trap measuring 12 inches in diameter and 24 inches in length. On the other hand, the larger variants, such as the suckers, will require a bigger trap.
- The trap can also vary in its shape. You may either choose rectangular or cylindrical trap. It is suggested to go for the latter, because water current will cause the fish to roll into the trap easily.
- Next thing to consider is the material required to build the trap. In this case, you will need a wire mesh fabric. Ensure that it is stiff enough to bear the weight of the fish.
- Cut the wire mesh in such a way that it folds to form a box, overlapping at the seam. If you want to build a fish trap, measuring 12 inch X 24 inch X 48 inch, you will need a sheet of wire mesh fabric, which is 6 feet long and 4 feet wide. So, arrange accordingly.
- After marking diagonally, at 12 inches, 36 inches, 48 inches, and 72 inches, fold the wire mesh sheet to form a box. Make the folds at each mark, at an angle of 90 degrees.
- Attach a light gauge wire at the corners of the box.
- To give a finishing touch to the trap, cut another piece of wire mesh fabric, about 12x24 inches.
- Secure the piece of fabric at the place where you tied the light gauge wire.
- Introduce a mesh fruit bag, filled with bait, into your fish trap. To weigh the trap down, attach a piece of brick or stone with the fruit bag.
- Tie the funnel into the trap. Make sure that the opening of the funnel is appropriate for the size of the fish.
- Your fish trap is ready!