The tiny teeth of a baby - the mere mention of them is more than enough for us to start cooing. However, if you want the teeth of your baby to make you happy always, you need to take care of them. Right from the time teething starts, you need to start taking care of your baby’s oral hygiene. As a baby, your child totally depends on you for his/her dental care. Right from brushing the teeth efficiently to massaging the gums in the right way, proper steps can ensure that your child is never subject to crooked teeth and cavities, which not only look appalling, but are extremely painful as well. As your child grows up, you will also need to instill in him/her the need for a proper dental care. In the meantime, explore the tips given below and learn how to brush an infant's teeth.
Tips For Brushing A Toddler’s Teeth
- You don’t have to wait for your infant's teeth to come out, to start the oral hygiene procedure. After feeding him/her, you do not remove food from his/her gums; it may stick there and produce germs. Therefore, after every feeding, you need to wash his/her mouth. You can also use warm gauze for that purpose. You will also find hundreds of other items in the supermarket, which are specially made for infant’s oral care.
- If you think that baby teeth aren’t important, you are wrong. These teeth reserve the space for permanent teeth. In addition, they also ensure that your baby speaks properly. So, you need to take care of an infant's teeth, right from the time the first tooth comes out. Feed you child healthy food, including those items that help cavity control. Avoid junk and sugary foods as much as you can.
- Before your baby goes off to sleep, don’t give him/her any drink other than water. If the water available in your house doesn’t contain fluoride, ask your dentist as to how you can provide a substitute. In addition, a mother or father’s oral care is also important. If the child sees you brushing daily and you seem excited about it, he/she is more likely to allow you to brush his/her teeth.
- If your baby has more than two teeth, you can use toothbrush for your child. Buy a brush with extremely soft bristles and a large handle, so you would be comfortable brushing his/her teeth. The toothbrush should have two rows of bristles. As for the toothpaste, ask your dentist to recommend one.
- While brushing your baby's teeth, just sit on a sofa and take him/her in your lap, preferably after every meal. Now, move the toothbrush gently around his/her mouth, brushing the teeth well. Replace the toothbrush after every few months.
- Instead of rubbing the same toothbrush over the baby's tongue, use a tongue cleaner. Using the tongue cleaner, clean your baby’s tongue and rinse his mouth with water. The tongue of your baby should be pink and clean, when the cleaning process is over.