Metabolism is a natural process by which the body burns energy derived from food to maintain itself. ‘Basal metabolic rate’ or BMR is the amount of energy consumed by the body when a person is at rest. The metabolic rate of a person varies due to different factors including age, genetics, gender, level of activity, etc. However, a person suffering from certain diseases like thyroid problems may suffer with an increased or decreased metabolic rate. Though metabolism is a natural process, you can still trick your body into burning more energy (calories). In other words, you can train your body to boost its metabolism. An increased metabolic rate is directly related to weight loss and a leaner body. So, if you wish to make your body appear slimmer, stop dieting and boost your metabolism. Increased metabolism not only helps you to lose weight in a healthy way, but it will also make you a fit person by improving your overall health. To get to know more on how to boost metabolism, read on.
Ways To Boost Your Metabolism
Eat A Wholesome Breakfast
Never ever skip breakfast. If you skip your breakfast, your body will lower its metabolic rate. It is therefore imperative for you to eat a healthy and wholesome breakfast. Also remember not to stuff yourself with a lot of food during dinner. Never ever go to bed with an empty stomach or skip meals. Doing this will slow down your metabolic rate, and that is not something that you want.
Munch on healthy snacks in small proportions to avoid hungry-overeating. Instead of binging on junk foods like pizzas and burgers, include healthy carbs and proteins in your snack. Peanuts, bananas, trail mixes, hummus, and low fat cheddar cheese can be some healthy snack options for you.
Exercise, Exercise, And Exercise
Aerobic exercises are one of the best possible ways to increase your metabolism. Exercise as much as you can, preferably during the mornings. Exercising regularly will definitely boost your metabolism. Include walking, biking, stair climbing exercises for at least 30 minutes a day in your fitness regime. Weight training or muscle building exercises also helps to boost up metabolism. It is best to do exercises twice daily. A vigorous workout in the morning and a brisk walk after dinner is perfect to boost your metabolism.
Tips To Increase Metabolism
- Consume protein rich food. Your body requires more time to digest protein, and this means that more calories will be burnt and your metabolism will boost up.
- Calcium is another important nutrient that helps in speeding up metabolism. Milk is one of the richest sources of dietary calcium. Make it a habit to drink milk daily. If you are lactose intolerant, rely on other dairy products like cheese and yogurt.
- Include fiber rich foods like fresh fruits, whole grains, and vegetables like beans that help burn out calories.
- Drink plenty of water, at least 8 – 10 glass per day. Water facilitates digestion and helps increase the metabolic rate.
- Switch to green tea instead of drinking ordinary tea. Green tea is known to boost metabolism, plus it is devoid of caffeine as well.
- Avoid consuming alcohol. Alcohol lowers the metabolism rate and also tends to stimulate your appetite.