Francis bacon said, “If a man be gracious and courteous to strangers, it shows he is a citizen of the world”. That is the importance that graciousness can have in a person’s life. Graciousness is all about how you make the people around you feel. Pleasing and affectionate are the hallmarks of a gracious person. People are not born with gracious behavior, it must be taught and absorbed. Gracious behavior depends on the upbringing and the environment. Through constant practice, it can be inculcated into your way of life. Gracious behavior, if taught from the childhood can lead towards the development of a successful human being. Through graciousness, any situation can be resolved, as self-interest is not its characteristic. Graciousness is a treasure that people throng to, so a gracious person is never short of people near him or her. Read the article below to know more on how to be gracious.
Learning To Be Gracious
- Take compliment with a smile. Timidity or lack of confidence can embarrass or deter the other person. A smile and saying ‘thank you’ will be a good return for the compliment. Make the other person feel that he or she is acknowledged.
- In the face of criticism, it is better to wait and cool off. More often than not, the impulse to ‘shoot off’ is very great, which will be ungracious, if the person is criticizing you for your own good. Waiting allows you to collect your thoughts and makes the other person feel the depth of your maturity.
- While accepting an invitation, be sure to thank the host or convey your reasons for not accepting the invitation. Similarly, when you invite someone, thank him or her for accepting the invitation, and also accept the reasons for someone who is unable to come.
- Kindness, respect, patience, empathy, etc. are all signs of graciousness, so, make these good qualities a part of you. Remember that graciousness should come unintentionally, from the subconscious and not as a forced entity. Practicing these positive traits will make graciousness a part of your character.
- Small acts of understanding lead to greater acts of graciousness. When you understand a person, you will fill him or her with a good feeling, and he will consider you a gracious person.
- Do not fake. Faking your feelings, emotions and other sensibilities, will carry you for a short time, but when discovered will hurt more than if you had been honest. And, hurting anyone is not graciousness.
- Sometimes and with some people, being on the right is not that important. If your being wrong, can do immense good to some people, then it is considered gracious behavior.
- Be forward with your help. Don’t wait for anyone to ask you for it. Offering your help will always make the other person remember your graciousness. To help when asked is good, but to help when not even asked is better, as these are the sign of gracious character.
- “I think sometimes it’s more important to be gracious than to win” said Dorothy Kilgallen. That is if you keep the interests of others in front of you, it will automatically teach you to be gracious.