Your granny or your mom might have baked countless number of cakes, cookies and pies for you, all through the years. Now, it is the time to bake one for them. Baking apple pie during festivals is a tradition that has been followed for many years. You might have tasted apple pies prepared in a variety of ways, flavored differently. However, if you want to bake one on your own, learning the basic recipe, first, is suggested. In the following lines, we have provided a simple recipe to let you know how to bake an apple pie.
Apple Pie Recipe
- 2¼ cups All-Purpose flour
- 1¼ tsp Table Salt
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 5 tbsp Cold Vegetable Shortening
- 8 tbsp Ice-cold Water
- 1 Egg
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/3 cup White Sugar
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 6 medium-sized Apples
- In a large bowl, mix 2 cups of all-purpose flour, along with butter, salt and vegetable shortening.
- Blend the flour mixture well, using a hand blender. While blending, add the ice-cold water slowly into the mixture.
- Now, make a large dough ball by kneading the flour with hands.
- Divide the dough into two equal halves.
- Wrap one of the halves in a plastic sheet and refrigerate it for about 30 minutes. Keep the other half aside, for later use.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten the refrigerated dough on a floured countertop.
- Roll the dough to form a circle shape, about 2 inches larger in diameter than the pie pan.
- Wrap the flattened dough completely around the rolling pin.
- Take the dough off the rolling pin and transfer it to a pan. Be very careful while doing this, as the dough may tear if you apply force.
- Press the dough gently against the sides of the pie pan.
- Tear off the overhanging edges of the dough. You may also cut them neatly, using a knife.
- Refrigerate the pie pan, containing the dough, for about fifteen minutes.
- Peel off the skin of the apples. Slice the apples into small cubes, each having a thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- In a small bowl, mix the apple pieces with white and brown sugar.
- Add salt, lemon juice, flour and cinnamon to the mixture and refrigerate it for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roll the second part of the dough on the floured countertop, just like the refrigerated dough.
- Cut the flattened dough into long strips, each 3 inches wide. Set the pieces aside, for later use.
- Take out the filling as well as the pie pan from the refrigerator.
- Pour the filling into the pie pan and spread it out evenly.
- Coat the edges of the pie pan with beaten egg.
- Take the sliced pieces of the dough and place them over the filling, in a criss-cross pattern. Leave even space between each slice.
- Slice off the overhanging edges of the dough slices. Secure the edges of the slices into the pan, by pressing them down onto the rim.
- Brush the top of the criss-cross pattern with beaten egg, to create the brown crust and then dust it with cinnamon powder and sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes.
- As soon as the color of the top crust becomes golden brown, switch off the oven.
- Take out the apple pie from the oven and allow it to come down to the room temperature.
- Your delicious apple pie is ready! Wait for about an hour, before serving it, along with whipped cream.