After working hard to get to the interview stage, and successfully going through the telephonic interviews, failing in a face-to-face session, can be real frustration for any person. Face to face, interview is really a stressful part of the job hunting process because you have to convince a stranger about your worth in a little time. Your academic marks or your degrees are of little help to you for the success in the interview. One of the major factors, which can mess up an interview, is stress and nervousness, which can make you sound like an ignorant and inefficient person even though you are well informed about the subject under discussion. The impression that you make in the interview has a major role in your journey with the company, and it all depends on your performance in the interview. You have to be in control and should have the confidence to overcome the stressful experience of a face-to-face interview. If you avoid making simple mistakes, you can prevail in the interview successfully. Read on the article to get a few tips on avoiding job interview mistakes.
Avoiding Job Interview Mistakes
- Most people make the mistake of thinking that the interview is just a formality. This thought is the first thing to be avoided. You should understand that the interview is the most important part of the job hunting process, which lands you a career and thus ‘life’. People have a tendency to imagine their life in the company, and think about how to spend their salary, after getting the job, even before they pass through the interview. You should never get into such things and even though your preliminaries have gone well, you shouldn’t be careless.
- One of the other major problems is arriving late for the interview. This will give the impression that you are not punctual. Leave the home early, so that you have the time to compose yourself before the interview. Even if you are caught in something like a traffic jam or any other problems, you should call the interviewer up and arrange to reschedule the interview.
- As the saying goes ‘the first impression is the best impression’, people will give marks to you by assessing your looks. You should be careful to avoid wrong dressing when appearing for the interview. It is said that one makes his/her impact on the interviewer in the first 20 seconds and the impression you need to get a job should be powerfully positive. Dress in formal attire. Everything about you should be clean and neat because hygiene is very important. Hygiene includes combed hair, brushed teeth, low-key scent, and deodorant. Check whether everything is right before walking into the interview hall.
- Smoking and drinking before going to the interview should be avoided strictly. Drinking a peg of vodka or smoking a cigarette or chewing a bubble gum may sound like comfort stuff for you but the fact is that none of them helps you in the interview. Employees are more likely to hire non-smokers because they don’t waste time by taking intervals for smoking.
- It is better to do a research on the company before you go for an interview. You need to find out the company’s product and services, annual sales, structure, and other key points from the internet. This helps you get a vivid idea about the organization and its working methods. Then you can show the interviewer that you are interested in working for the prospective employer by demonstrating your knowledge about the company.