Ferret is a domestic mammal, often regarded as a small, sweet pet that one can keep at home. While it is a pleasure to be around, you need to keep certain factors in mind if you plan to bring it home. For instance, ferrets need their daily playtime outside. However, at the same time, because of their curious character, they tend to get into trouble a lot. So, you need to keep a strict watch during their playtime and keep them in a cage otherwise. A large, well-designed cage is the best way to create a secure environment for you ferret, when you are unable to supervise its activities, say when you are not at home or are sleeping at night. The cage should be large, clean, comfortable, and ferret specific. Some features to look for, in such a cage, are floor solid and shelves, solid ladder and balconies. You can also use hammocks or extra shelves to make the cage more secure. In case you are now planning to arrange cheap ferret cages at home and wondering how to do so, read on. The tips given in the following lines will surely help you out.
Arranging Cheap Ferret Cage At Home
There are two options when it comes to a ferret cage - buying one or making one on your own. Through the following lines, we will help you arrange such a cage.
- The first step is to get a large sized plastic dog or cat carrier, a small cat litter box or even a plastic shoebox. Secure the litter box to the back of the ferret cage, with a couple of small nuts and bolts, or by drilling holes and twisting them in. Nest the second litter box in the first one, after filling it half with litter.
- Get one or two pairs of sweatshirts or sweatpants. Go for a pair that you have worn once, but haven’t washed yet. Put this sweatshirt or sweatpants (having your scent) on the floor of the cage. You can even make a small ferret hammock with it and hang it from the slats, on the top half of the carrier.
- Fasten a food and a water dish to the door of the ferret cage or to the wall of the cage, if you are up for drilling a few more holes. Once the ferret cage is set up in this way, bring it out to the ferret.
- Find a way to prop the door open, so that your ferret can easily get in and out. You can even use a rock to prevent the door from swinging. The cage should be so arranged that the ferret volunteers to get in and sleep inside it.
- Keep checking the cage from time to time, and when you notice that your ferret is sleeping quietly inside, close the door.
- Ferrets are the sweetest animals, but they have their naughty and intrusive nature. They love challenges. Therefore, it is essential to keep an eye on your ferret and prevent it from entering prohibited areas that can be dangerous for it.