Lip balm is one of the essential cosmetics, used to maintain the softness and lusciousness of the lips, especially during the dry weather of winters. It serves to relieve chapped or dry lips, angular cheilitis or stomatitis, and cold sores. The balm keeps the lips hydrated and helps them retain their shine. Some lip balms also guard the lips against the ill-effects of sunshine as they contain octinoxate and avobenzone. No wonder most of the women swear by the benefits of lip balm. The ingredients used for making lip balm are beeswax, petroleum jelly, menthol, camphor, scented oils, and various other items. Vitamins, alum, salicylic acid, or aspirin are also added to the lip balm, by some manufacturers.
There are some who confuse lip gloss with lip balm. Although both the products are topically applied to the lips, lip gloss has more of cosmetic properties, which make the lips look luscious and polished, giving them a glitter to make them stand out among the other features of the face. Lip balm, on the other hand, imparts an occlusive layer to the lip surface, which helps to seal moisture in lips and protect them against external exposure. However, for getting those supple lips, not only do you need to buy the right lip balm, but also know how to apply the same. Lip balm comes in three forms, stick, tube and jar. Mostly, tiny containers are used to store the balm. In this article, we will give you tips on how to apply all the three types of lip balm, in winters as well as summers.
Procedure for Applying Lip Balms
- Remove the cap of the stick.
- Hold the stick with one hand and enclose the fingers of the other over the grooved area, at the bottom of the stick.
- Rotate your lower hand clockwise. You will see the waxy stick coming out.
- Place the waxy stick on your lower lip and glide it horizontally, from one end of the lip to the other.
- Next time, place the waxy stick on the upper lip and repeat the procedure.
- Remove the cap of the tube.
- Squeeze the tube gently and put a small dollop of balm on the index finger of your right/left hand.
- Place your finger on the lower lip and glide it horizontally from one end of the lip to the other.
- Again, put a small dollop of balm on the index finger of your right/left hand.
- Now, place your finger on the upper lip and repeat the procedure.
- Remove the lid of the jar.
- Place the index finger of your left/right hand against the balm and move it in a circle.
- After getting the balm on your finger, place it on your lower lip and glide it horizontally from one end of the lip to the other.
- Again put your finger in the jar and take out more lip balm.
- Place your finger on the upper lip and repeat the procedure.