Disinfectants are the antimicrobial agents that are used to destroy micro organisms. However, disinfectants should not be confused with antibiotics. Antibiotics are drugs that destroy micro organisms within the body while disinfectants are used or applied to non-living objects.
A disinfectant should offer complete sterilization without harming any kind of living organisms. However, do keep in mind that most of the disinfectants are potentially harmful to humans as well as animals. Hence, it is very important to treat them with utmost care. There are several kinds of disinfectants like quaternary ammonium chlorides, chlorine bleach solutions, phenolic disinfectant cleaners, iodine, etc.
In this article, we will tell you how do these disinfectants work and we also provide you with some tips on disinfectants. Read on to find out more.
- First, it is important to know that for the disinfectants to work effectively, it must be diluted and then used to remove and kill germs.
- Disinfectants mainly work by oxidizing the germs and breaking down their cell walls.
- It does this by disrupting the physical make up or blocking the energy-yielding and synthetic process of the germs.
- Different kinds of disnfectants kill different germs but the process remains the same.
- Those disinfectants which are used indoors should not be mixed with the other cleaning products as this can result in some kind of chemical reaction.
- The disinfectants are generally used in hospitals, dental surgeries, kitchens, and bathrooms to kill infectious organisms.
- Select a disinfectant that works on the specific type of germs that you are trying to remove. If that is not a possibility, then you should select a product that will kill all types of germs.
- Sunlight also acts as a disinfectant. The UV rays produced by sun are very powerful in killing various germs and bacteria.
- Alcohol is another product that is, at times, used as a disinfectant. Not only this, it is also used as an antiseptic.
- Always follow the instructions on the label regarding how to kill germs and disinfect surfaces using disinfectants. The wrong use of a disinfectant can prove to be harmful.
- Remember that a disinfectant must be in contact with the germ to kill it. So, always clean the surface of dirt, grease or oil before using any kind of disinfectant.