Tartar or calculus is the hardened form of dental plaque. A white chalky substance, tartar is caused due to continual accumulation of minerals from saliva on plaque on the teeth. The build up, when ignored for a long time, can make your teeth look ugly, feel ugly and even smell ugly. In case you are suffering from the same problem, help is at hand. You do not have to spend lots of money to get your tartar treated by the dentist. Read on to know the various home remedies for teeth tartar removal.
How To Remove Tartar Build Up From Teeth
- Purchase an antiseptic oral cleanser or hydrogen peroxide. Take a large capful (about 10 ml) of any of these products and gargle for at least a minute. This would oxygenate the surface of the teeth and the edges of the gums, to loosen and remove tartar. Make it a habit to gargle with these solutions at least once a day or after every meal. to remove the stuck over food particles.
- Floss between your teeth thoroughly after gargling. Floss up and down for about three times inside each surface. Waterpik can also be used for the purpose, but flossing would be more beneficial.
- Remove the tartar from your mouth using a dental pick. Scrape the tartar (yellow in color) from your mouth using a lighted mirror. Do not forget to spit and rinse periodically.
- Another good remedy for tartar removal is spicy food. Spicy food helps in stimulating salivary glands, which produce enough saliva to clean your teeth and gums.
- Apply strawberries or tomatoes (rich source of Vitamin C) to your teeth for about five minutes. Wash off with a solution of warm water and baking soda.
- Mix a tablespoon of baking soda with a pinch of salt in a cup. Then wet your brush, dip in the mixture and scrub your teeth with it.
- Rub orange peels directly on the teeth and leave it overnight. It helps to fight microorganisms.
- Mix one cup of water, 1/2 cup of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel, 4 teaspoons of vegetable glycerin and 10 drops of lemon essential oil. Store the liquid and use it daily to scrub your teeth.
- Munch an apple or a melon (musk melon or water melon) one hour post your meal, to clean your teeth and have healthy gums.
- Get an electric toothbrush to vibrate the tartar off your teeth. The bristles of such toothbrushes rotate while the stem remains still. These brushes are best for people suffering from arthritis or handicaps, who cannot use a regular brush effectively.
- Visit your dentist annually for checkups and cleaning of your teeth.
- Buy toothpaste specifying 'tartar control', to avoid future tartar problems.
- Select a brush with soft nylon bristles, as they are easy on tooth enamel and tough on plaque.
- Maintain good oral hygiene by brushing every morning and night.