Gold is a precious metal that remains valuable forever! It is a delicate metal that requires proper care and handling. The superior quality gold, like that of 18 carat and higher, does not tarnish or fade in color. Generally, it is the gold jewelry of carats 9 to 14 that have the tendency to tarnish, as it contains less percentage of gold-alloy. In other words, we can say that the gold of higher carats is more resistant to tarnish, in comparison to the low carats one. Gold tarnishes can be removed at home itself, though the procedure will need some time, patience and care. We bring you the best home remedy to clean gold jewelry and get rid of tarnish.
How To Clean Tarnished Gold Jewelry
- Pour a mild cleaner, like dishwashing liquid, on to the gold jewelry. Make sure to pour some extra amount on the tarnished part of the jewelry.
- Gently rub the tarnished part with your finger. In case the tarnish is tough and does not get removed, use a soft bristle brush for cleaning the jewelry.
- After cleaning with the mild cleaner, rinse the jewelry with warm water.
- Dry the jewelry using a soft cotton cloth. Before putting it back into the jewelry box, it is advisable to lay it flat for a minimum of 24 hours. This will ensure proper drying of the jewelry.
- You can get the ultrasonic machine at home, to clean the tarnished gold jewelry.
- Pour the cleansing liquid into the machine to clean the dirt and tarnishes off the jewelry. You can make the cleansing liquid at home, by mixing 95% ammonia with liquid dish soap.
- Once the cleansing liquid is poured and machine is set on, ultrasonic sound waves will be radiated, which will eventually break up the dirt and tarnished portions of the gold.
- You will get absolutely clean jewelry, with no scratches on it.
- Avoid using baking soda, toothpaste or any type of tough cleaners on gold. Since gold is a soft metal, using these things might cause scratches.
- Take proper care of your gold jewelry. Clean it at frequent intervals, to make it stay shining for a longer duration of time.
- Always keep gold jewelry in a protected case, so as to avoid any scratching from the surrounding material.
- Though while cleaning the gold jewelry you will need warm water, avoid its regular exposure to warm water. Do not wear gold jewelry while taking hot shower for a long duration of time.