Many babies are born with small red spots on their cheeks, which have been given the name of baby acne. They usually persist till about 6 months of age and can also be seen over the forehead, neck, back and chin of a baby. The main reason for baby acne comprises of the hormones that are passed to the baby before birth, through the placenta. As the baby starts growing, the acne also starts diminishing and finally, disappears totally. Through it is a perfectly normal phenomenon, you can contact a doctor if it is too severe or lasts even after six months. Let us check out the causes of baby acne in detail, along with some natural cures and treatments for the same.
Causes For Baby Acne
Talking about the causes of acne, it is very difficult to single out a specific reason for the occurrence of acne in babies. According to the experts, the hormones received by the baby from his/her mother at the end of the pregnancy period causes acne to occur. However, this might not be the only reason for the problem. Researchers also believe that certain medications that are taken by the mother or the baby can also trigger the emergence of acne. Viral illnesses and allergic reactions are also factors that can lead to acne. Others believe that baby acne can be aggravated by milk formula or the spit-up coming in contact with the skin. Irritants including, rough fabrics or fabrics laundered in strong detergent, can also lead to acne in babies.
Home Remedies for Baby Acne
- Take 1 tsp honey and 1 tsp lemon juice. Mix them well and apply on the affected area, with a cotton swab. Leave it on for 1/2 hour and then wash with warm water.
- Pump out your breast milk and apply it on the affected area, with a cotton swab. Leave it for 15 minutes and then wash with water.
- Wash your child’s face with a mild soap and warm water, at least two times in a day. This helps open the pores and clears the oils and sweat that can contribute to acne formation.
- After feeding the baby, always wipe his/ her face gently with a cloth that has been dipped in water.
- Make sure to clean out saliva from your baby’s face every now and then, as it is also one of the causes of baby acne.
- Take care of your diet. Do not eat too much oily stuff or foods that might aggravate acne.
- Have lots of fresh fruits juices and large amount of water in your diet.
- Always wash your baby’s clothes as well as other items, such as bed sheet, pillow covers, etc in mild detergents.
- Do not use greasy lotions and oils on your baby’s skin. It not only aggravates the sensitivity, but also contributes to clogging of pores and persisting irritation.
Note: There is no reason to jump on to treatment immediately on spotting the first lesion. In fact, baby acne, when left undisturbed, usually clears up within a few weeks on its own. However, if the problem persist for more than three months, it is advisable to go for the above-mentioned home remedies or consult a doctor to treat the problem.