Whether you work from home or like to bring work back home you need not suffer through the crummy office furnishings of your usual 9 to 5 job. You can make your home office a more ergonomically enjoyable experience and a feast for the eye as well. And with more and more people working from home, modern day home office furniture provides a welcome break from the traditional strict office environment. Your selection of home office furniture can in fact give your home office a personal touch and grant it character. It is very important to plan your office environment so that it works for you. You really cannot work in an environment you hate. So your office space has to be truly you. And especially if you are starting a business from home you really cannot take it lightly. It has to be designed in such a way so as to make working experience a pleasurable one. The layout should be professional regardless of whether it is your private office with no visitors or a public one where you have people visiting you. And since you are going to be the one who is going to work in there, several hours a day, it has to have the best in terms of comfort, functionality, accessibility and practicality.
How To Select The Right Furniture For The Home Office?
- First, the furniture has to complement your home office, and also fit into your budget.
- Next, you have to decide between permanency and portability of the furniture. In other words if you have a home and do not plan to move anywhere then you can invest your money in appearance, functionality and durability. However, if you live as a renter or your job is such that it needs relocation often then you should concentrate on functionality and portability.
- Make a list of the activities you’ll be performing there, like computing, reading, lab, research, writing, entertaining clients etc.
- Now, decide on the furniture that you’ll need to perform the above activities. Like, if you are going to need a computer you’ll need a computer desk, printer etc. If you plan to read extensively, you’ll need a reading desk, reading lamp, bookshelves, etc. If you have clients visiting you, you’ll need chairs to accommodate them, small tables for magazines etc.
- As you start working, the office is sure to get cluttered. It is inevitable. So, you’ll also need organizers to keep your office and administration items in an order. It also provides space for all the items and articles you’ll be dealing with. It is good to get organizers for incoming and outgoing papers, filers, letter holders, and small organizers for keeping the paperclips, fasteners etc. If you are planning a budget home office then you can collect some of these organizers from among your household stuff. For example, using old egg holders for keeping paper clips and fasteners.
- The next most important factor is the lighting. It should not be too harsh. Keep it optimal. This will be kinder on your eyes, and save you from headaches.
- Selecting the chair is perhaps the most crucial of all the things because a badly designed chair can be very harmful. It can cause severe back and neck pain. So, select a chair based solely on your needs and choose one that is ergonomically designed. It should be comfortable, neither too tall nor too short and with support padding for your back. Swivel chairs are always better. They give you plenty of freedom to move and change directions.
- Similarly, while choosing a desk, focus on its functionality and also its ergonomics. It should be of a proper height else, it will hunch your back.