Bored of the regular meal routines? Here are some healthy sandwich recipes that will provide you with all the nutrients along with delicious taste. Often disregarded as light snacks to casually munch on or clubbed at times quite inappropriately with junk food, sandwiches are one surprise package waiting to be rediscovered. These variants of the humbler bread-butter cousin are quite versatile, lending themselves to several different combinations of fillings. You can pile in lots of delicious, healthy filling on whole grain breads with yummy tangy sauces for added flavor. Imagine the experience of biting into a juicy ham sandwich topped with grilled bell peppers and mayonnaise! A well assembled sandwich makes a good lunch, packed with a variety of nutrients and in loads of flavors. Here are different recipes for healthy sandwiches which you only need to go through to get started on a new sandwich eating experience every day, without compromising on the nourishment factor in the least.
Nutritious Sandwich Recipes
Barbecued Pork Sandwiches
- 2 Whole Wheat Buns (Split Horizontally)
- 1 small Yellow Onion (cut into ½ inch thick rounds)
- 1 tsp Canola Oil
- 1/3 cup prepared Barbecue Sauce
- Chipotle-marinated Pork Tenderloin (grilled and thinly sliced)
- Preheat the grill over high heat or heat up a large indoor grill pan over high heat.
- Brush the onions with oil lightly and grill them until they turn lightly brown and soft, turning them over after 4 to 5 minutes. Let them cool over a cutting board after they are grilled.
- Toast the buns with their sides cut facing down on the grill or in the pan.
- Chop the grilled onions and transfer to a large bowl. Shred the pork using two forks and add into the bowl.
- Add barbecue sauce and stir to combine well. Serve the pork filling on the toasted buns.
Bistro Flank Steak Sandwich
- ¾ lb flank Steak (trimmed)
- 6 cloves of Garlic (unpeeled)
- ¼ tsp freshly ground Pepper
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium Yellow Bell Pepper
- ½ tsp Salt (divided)
- 1 medium Red Bell Pepper
- 1 cup of mixed Salad Greens
- 4 large slices of whole-wheat country bread (each cut into half, or cut into a total of 8 smaller slices)
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat Mayonnaise
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Place the garlic to the center of a piece of a foil and drizzle it with oil.
- Gather the foil at the top to form a sealed packet. Sprinkle both sides of the steak with ¼ tsp of salt and pepper.
- Put the garlic packet over the cool part of the grill, and place the steak and bell peppers over direct heat or the hottest part of the grill.
- Cook garlic until soft and golden brown. For about 10 min, cook the peppers, turning them occasionally until the skin is blistered on all the sides.
- Cook steak turning it once until done as desired, for about 6 min on both sides.
- Transfer the garlic packet, peppers and steak to a clean platter. Keep the steak warm with foil.
- Grill the bread, turning it once until toasted well on both sides, for about 1 min per side.
- When the peppers are cool, discard the stems, seeds and ribs, and peel. Slice into wide strips and toss with the remaining ¼ tsp salt in a small bowl.
- Peel garlic and place it along with oil from the packet in a small bowl. Add mayonnaise and mash it with a fork until combined and then slice the steak very thinly.
- Spread a scant tsp of roasted garlic and oil on each piece of the bread. Divide the greens, the sliced steak and grilled peppers among 4 slices of bread and top with the remaining slices of bread.
Blackened Salmon Sandwich
- 1 small Avocado (pitted)
- 1 lb wild Salmon Fillet (skinned and cut into 4 portions)
- 2 tsp Blackening or Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup Arugula
- 2 tbsp low-fat Mayonnaise
- ½ cup Red Onions (Thinly Sliced)
- 2 plum Tomatoes (Thinly Sliced)
- 4 crusty whole-wheat rolls (Split and Toasted)
- Oil the grill rack and preheat grill to high.
- Rub salmon on both the sides with blackening seasoning. Grill until cooked through for 3-4 min per side.
- Mash the avocado and mayonnaise in a small bowl.
- Spread some of the avocado mixture on each roll and top it with salmon, arugula, tomato and onion, and then assemble your sandwiches.
Green Eggs And Ham Sandwich
- 1 Egg (hard-boiled)
- 1 slice Extra Lean Baked Ham
- ½ Avocado (peeled and pitted)
- 2 slices of Whole-Grain Bread
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- Mash together egg with avocado in a bowl until well blended.
- Stir in the lime juice. Arrange the slices of ham on one slice of bread.
- Top it with green egg mixture and cover it with the remaining slice of bread.
- Slice the bread slice into quarters and serve.