As Benjamin Franklin said, “Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy”. To that, we can also add that in addition to loving and seeing us happy, God definitely wants us to stay healthy. This is because wine has several ingredients that can keep your health in the top shape. However, that does not mean that you guzzle down bottles of wine. To enjoy the health benefits of wine, it must be drunk in moderate quantities. More than that and it becomes toxic. Wine, since centuries, has been used for medicinal purposes in various cultures, and so nowadays, it is recommended to drink a glass of wine for a healthy body and mind. Throughout the world, numerous studies are being conducted on the different types of effect that wine consumption has on the body, and most of the results that have been obtained so far points towards a positive outcome. What is known is that for common illness like indigestion, cold etc. it has a beneficial effect. It can also be safely said that it boosts the health of the heart and the skin. However, the research on medical benefits of wine is still in its infancy and so its use in wider medicinal field is limited. But that should not stop you from using wine as a reliable home medicine, as when consumed in moderate quantities it does not have any ill effects. Go through the article below to know more on the health benefits of wine.
Health Benefits Of Drinking Wine
- People who moderately and regularly drink wine have a far less mortality rate than those who don’t drink wine or those who drink only beer and spirits. Wine has antioxidants, anti-bacterial properties and other compounds that are beneficial to the body and thus helps in promoting longevity.
- The most accepted and widely believed health benefit of drinking wine is that it reduces the risk of heart attack. This is because wine drinkers with high blood pressure are 30% less likely to have a heart attack than non-drinkers.
- Wine drinkers also have a reduced risk of heart disease. This is especially good with red wines as it contains procyanidins, which protects against heart disease. Go for the wine that has more amount of procyanidins like the wines from the south-west France and Sardinia.
- Drinking wine in moderate quantities is also very effective in preventing the development of Type 2 diabetes.
- Wine has anti-coagulant properties and so it prevents the blood from clotting. This reduces the possibility of stroke, which occurs due to blood clotting.
- Wine drinkers also have few chances of developing cataracts than those who don’t drink wine or drink only spirits.
- In women, drinking wine can increase the density of the bone and so prevent osteoporosis.
- Wine is also said to cut the risk of cancer because of its antioxidant properties. Wine can also reduce the risk of various types of cancer and recent studies have shown that moderate wine drinkers have lower risk of esophageal cancers and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Wine drinking also keeps the mind in top shape by improving the mental function. It is very effective in preventing age related dementia. Drinking wine also reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease. Wine stimulates the release of the compound acetylcholine, which boosts the brain function and memory.
- Drinking wine along with food assists in proper digestion. The wine also prevents in the over consumption of food. This can help people in bringing their weight under control.
- Wine also slows down macular degeneration. So, it can prevent the decline of vision in people as a result of old age.
- Stomach ailments like diarrhea and irritation can also be prevented on the consumption of moderate consumption of wine.