Onions are included as one of the main ingredients in many dishes, as they impart a savory taste and aroma to food. While many people enjoy eating onion, because of its nutritional benefits and great taste, others avoid it mainly because of the bad breath caused by its consumption. Once onions are sliced, the chemicals present in their cells are broken down by enzymes called allinases, which form the foul-smelling sulfide gases that produce the offensive odor. Therefore, the problem of onion breath occurs every time we consume it. In case you like the taste of onion and are looking forward to tips for getting rid of onion breath, the following lines will come handy.
How To Get Rid Of Onion Breath
- Drink a cup of tea or chew on coffee beans immediately after eating onion.
- Drinking lemonade also helps fight the bad breath caused due to the consumption of onion.
- Chew on a few mint leaves after you eat onion. The refreshing flavor of this herb will help you fight the objectionable odor caused by onion.
- Chewing salt-dipped parsley is another remedy for combating onion breath. It should be eaten immediately after consuming onion or with your meal. The flavored herb counteracts onion breath on a temporary basis.
- Many people claim that cardamom seeds have similar effects as parsley, in banishing the bad breath caused by onion. However, make sure that you consume it immediately after eating onion.
- Oral hygiene methods, including mouthwash, brushing, flossing and scraping the tongue, are the standard remedies for the bad breath from onion consumption.
- Mint-flavored spray can mask the bad breath caused by onion, temporarily. Make sure that you do not spray too much, because mouth fresheners are very pungent and might cause harm to your delicate taste buds.
- Fruit candies can help mask onion breath. Candies with high sugar content have longer masking effect.
- Teeth whitening gums, with strong flavoring, can also help you cover up the bad smell caused by eating onions.