It is common to spot Hollywood celebrities adorning formal hairstyle, while walking down the red carpet, during appearances or in interviews. Formal hairstyles are all about special occasions. From prom, business parties to a wedding, you will surely need a formal hairstyle once in your life. For these important occasions, you take a lot of care to dress. You try picking a perfect dress and matching it with that perfect piece of jewelry. When you are so particular about everything then why neglect your hair, which are such an important asset. Formal hairstyle can complement any hair length whether long or short. If you have short dark hair, then you can adorn Rihanna's cropped look with a slan or go ahead with Katie Holmes’s blunt cut style. Drop down your long tresses in a prom by sporting Mischa Barton's blow-dried straight locks style. Options are not limited! From updos to braids, formal hairstyles have much to offer. What more, you can make them at home and save the expense of parlor. Here are some easy to make formal hairstyles, which will give you the look of your favorite celebrity.
The name chignon means ‘nape of the neck’ as it is a low bun worn at the nape of the neck. A chignon is a classic option for formal occasions including weddings, proms, and holidays. The advantage of this hairstyle is that it goes well with every hair type. Here are the steps to achieve this hairstyle:
- Part your hair to the side
- Tie your hair into a ponytail at the nape of your neck.
- Secure it with an elastic hair band.
- Now, backcomb the ponytail and smooth it with a brush to give volume to hair.
- Wrap the ponytail around the hair band to create a bun.
- Use hair pins to hold the bun in place.
- Your chignon hairstyle is complete!
Updo is all time favorite formal hairstyle. A lot of women prefer updo as it gives a unique appearance to hair. From proms to weddings, you can try looped updo on any formal occasion.
- Tie your hair into a ponytail, which is halfway between the nape of the neck and top of the head.
- Secure it fast with an elastic band.
- Separate about four inch thick section of hair at the top of the ponytail.
- Pin it out of the way. This will be done with later.
- Divide the remaining ponytail in six equal sections.
- Start from the left. Take one section and twist it gently under and to the left to form a big hair loop.
- Next, pin the bottom of the loop to the back of the hair.
- Now, take the next section and repeat the same.
- Pin the next loop in such a way that it hides the earlier hairpin.
- Now, spray the loops with hairspray.
- When you are done with the bottom loops, unpin the top section of the hair and divide it into four equal sections.
- Enwrap one portion around the finger to form a tighter loop.
- Now, pin this loop to form one side of a four-leaf clover shape.
- Make loops of three other sections the same way and pin.
- The four tight loops should rest on the top of loose hair loops at the bottom.
- Spray hairspray to finish the look.
Stylish Side Bun
Stylish side bun updo can be your pick, if you are stepping out for a less formal occasion. It will surely make you look stylish and gorgeous.
- Comb your hair and make sure that they are completely detangled. This will ensure easy creation of the bun.
- Next, part the hair in desired directions.
- Prefer center parting as it will be easier to tie a bun with center parting.
- In case using side parting, do not forget to brush hair in opposite direction, where the bun will be placed.
- Now place the strands to the side of the head, where the bun will be. Use hair pins to fix the strands on to the desired spot.
- Use hairspray to give it a finish.
- Your stylish side bun is ready!