Flatulence is the emission of mixture of gases called ‘flatus’ present in the intestine. The gas is produced by symbiotic bacteria and yeasts present in the gastrointestinal tract. Flatus usually gets released under pressure from the anus. It is an uncomfortable and, at times, painful situation because of bloating. One of the most common reasons for flatulence is indigestion. When the food that is consumed does not get digested properly, the chemical reaction causes accumulation of gases within the body, which leads to the emission. There are several reasons for indigestion - consuming oily foods, not chewing your food properly and having meals at wrong timings. Apart from these, smoking also causes flatulence. Certain psychological conditions such as tensions, stress, depression and extreme anger or fear are also considered as some of the reasons for flatulence. If you too are suffering from the problem of flatulence, reading this article would be of help, as it provides you with certain useful home remedies.
Home Remedies For Flatulence
- Extracts from ginger and garlic prove to be extremely helpful in curing flatulence. Mix the juice extracted from garlic or ginger clove in lukewarm water and drink it, whenever you face the problem. This mixture of garlic and ginger is likely to give you immediate results.
- Turmeric is a very effective home remedy option, which helps in healing flatulence immediately. Grind some turmeric to form a powdery consistency. Now, add a pinch of salt to it. Add this powder to a glass of lukewarm water and drink it.
- Another option would be to take raw turmeric and chop it into small pieces. Add lime juice and sprinkle some salt and pepper on it. Eat the piece of raw turmeric along with your meals. This will facilitate good digestion and keep the problem of flatulence at bay.
- Add some sodium bicarbonate, normally known as baking soda, in a cup full of water. Squeeze in some lemon juice and add a pinch of salt to it. This is a sure-shot remedy to resolve any kind of flatulence problems.
- Mustard oil mixed with a pinch of asafoetida powder or the ground rock salt proves to be effective in curing flatulence. Consume a teaspoon of this oil mixture twice daily and watch the problem of flatulence vanish within no time.
- Extract the juice from betel leaf. Mix some honey and make a paste out of it. Consume this paste whenever you are faced with a severe flatulence problem. This treatment not only treats flatulence, but also avoids its recurrence.
- Take a few seeds of bishop’s weed and add them to a spoonful of lime juice. Every time when you are struck with the flatulence problem, consume this to get immediate relief from it.
- Warm a glass of milk and add some castor oil to it. Drink this milk mixture whenever you experience any gas problem.
- Roast 5 tbsp of fennel seeds and grind them to form a powdery consistency. Add equal amount of sugar to it and grind again, so that the sugar gets mixed properly. Add this mixture to an equal amount of Psyllium seeds (Isphagula). Consume this mixture three times a day in quantities of 2 teaspoons. This will help in cooling down the stomach and will solve the problem of digestion and flatulence.
- 25 g of fenugreek seeds mixed with equal amount of dill seeds can prove out to be the most effective solution for treating flatulence problem. Roast both the ingredients and then crush them partially. Store this mixture in an airtight can. Consume 5 g of the mixture every day. This will help treat as well as prevent flatulence.
- Eating smaller meals is the easiest method for controlling and solving the problem of passing air. Avoid consuming meals containing large amount of monounsaturated and essential fats. Make sure that you chew your food properly and eat slowly, avoiding swallowing down the food. This helps in proper digestion, thereby reducing the risk of flatulence.
- Dietary fiber is good for health, but can cause flatulence in people who are not used to consuming it. If you have just begun to include more fruits, vegetables and other high fiber content foods to your diet, make the addition slowly. Give your body some time to get used to the fibers.
- If you are suffering from flatulence, do not have your food while reclining on the couch. This will put bends in the digestive tracts, making it hard for the gas to escape upward. Therefore, it is better to sit upright and consume your meals.
- Swallowing air especially while eating can also lead to the problem of flatulence. To make sure that the air you breathe goes into your lungs and not into your stomach, it is recommended for you to breathe slowly through the nose rather than gulping air through your mouth, while eating.