Fibromyalgia can be described as a chronic disorder in which the affected person suffers from constant widespread pain and a heightened and painful response to even gentle touch. The term 'Fibromyalgia' is made up of three different terms, Latin fibro - meaning fibrous tissue, Greek myo - meaning muscle and Greek algos - meaning pain, which collectively mean muscle and connective tissue pain.FMS or fibromyalgia syndrome is believed to affect 2 to 4 percent of general population. The exact causes of the disorder are unknown till date and it is relatively not well understood by the medical community as well not to think of en masse. Although it is understood, that certain people are at a greater risk of developing FMS. The symptoms too are believed to include everything from widespread body pain to fatigue. However, it is believed to result from stress, sleep disturbance, Central dopamine dysfunction (hypodopaminergia), abnormal serotonin metabolism, and deficient human growth hormone (HGH) secretion, apart from certain genetic and psychological factors. Due to the variety of symptoms related to fibromyalgia, there are several associated conditions linked to fibromyalgia. Although Fibromyalgia can happen to anybody, women in their mid-30 to late 50’s are more susceptible to this disease. Let us explore the signs and symptoms of Fibromyalgia.
Signs & Symptoms Of Fibromyalgia
- One of the major symptoms of Fibromyalgia, which a patient suffers, is widespread pain in the body. However, the pain differs from arthritis and any, other such type of pain. The pain in FMS is not in the joints but in the muscles and ligaments. Usually the pain is located in the shoulders, back, hips, and neck. And the tenderness is worse in the morning and can be depicted with the symptoms of flu-like, aching, stabbing and shooting pain.
- He/she may also suffer from muscle twitches and weakness. Myofascial pain syndrome and temperomandibular joint dysfunction syndrome also may be another symptoms in case of chronic fibromyalgia.
- Another common symptom related to fibromyalgia, is fatigue and because of that, some doctors even relate the chronic fatigue syndrome to FMS. The severity can be from mild to severe and sometimes it can be so consistent that no amount of rest and sleep helps in alleviating fatigue.
- Chronic headache is another symptom of fibromyalgia. He/she may also suffer from breathing troubles and chest pain.
- Feeling of swollen extremities and cold symptoms especially if you are not suffering from a cold are another signs of FMS. Numbness and tingling sensation also accompanies the pain in most cases.
- A person can also suffer from morning stiffness and irritable bowel symptoms. He or she may also get depressed, suffer from anxieties, and sleep disorder. She may also have some kind of skin problems.
- A women suffering from fibromyalgia may get very painful periods and have PMS much before periods. Both male and female patients may also suffer from urinary and pelvic problems. sometimes a weight gain symptoms is also seen in a person suffering from FMS.
- In certain conditions, a patient also suffers from Dysmenorrhea, cognitive or memory impairment that it also called as fibrofog, which implies mental haziness meaning a loss of concentration, memory loss etc.
- Impaired coordination may also be another symptom of fibromyalgia. multiple chemical sensitivity syndromes