Looking for something?
Facts About London
- London stands on the southeast of England and is the capital city of United Kingdom.
- London is the most densely populated area in Britain and is the ninth largest city in the world.
- London is formed by two ancient cities - City of London and City of Westminster, both cities forming the region of Greater London.
- During the time of the Roman Invasion, London was known as Londinium. In Saxon times, it was known as Lundenwic and during the kingdom of Alfred the Great, its name was changed to Lundenburg.
- Did you know? London presents more live comedy than any other country in the world.
- Contrary to what many people believe, Big Ben in London is not the name of the clock or the tower, but a 13-ton bell inside the clock. The tower is known as St. Stephen’s Tower.
- The city of London is home to four World Heritage Sites - the Palace of Westminster (Houses of Parliament), the Tower of London, Maritime Greenwich and Kew Botanical Gardens.
- Thames River in London is the longest river in England. It begins life as a trickle in a Gloucestershire meadow and flows for more than 135 miles, before reaching London.
- The London Eye or Millennium Wheel of the city is the tallest Ferris wheel in Europe.
- Wilton’s Music Hall is the world’s oldest surviving musical hall, which was built in 1743.
- There are five international airports in London, with the Heathrow airport being the busiest airport in the world.
- The London Underground, built in 1863, and popularly called ‘Tube’, is the first metro of the world.
- The Canary Wharf Tower is the tallest building in London.
- London is one of the three command centers for the world economy, and has the sixth largest city economy in the world after Tokyo, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Paris.
- Buckingham Palace, The Queen’s official residence built in 1702, was earlier the site of an infamous brothel.
- There are more American banks in London than in Manhattan and New York put together!
- The Great Fire of London in 1666 created widespread devastation, causing major reconstruction work all across the city.
- London is a multi-ethnic city and domiciles people speaking over 300 languages.
- Windsor Castle of London is the largest and oldest castle of the world that is still in use.
- According to rumors, ghosts of King Henry VIII, Queen Elizabeth I, Mad King George, and Charles I still haunt the Windsor Castle.
- There are more than 100 theaters in London. Moreover, about sixteen percent of the country’s restaurants and food joints are located in London.
- Do you know Londoners are believed to live longer than their other UK counterparts due to their happy-go-lucky spirits and their bustling lifestyles.
- London is a multi-ethnic and diverse city; one in three Londoners is a foreign national.
Holland is a beautiful & vibrant country. It is also known as Netherlands. Check out some interesting and fun facts about Holland given below.
Myanmar or Burma as it was earlier known is a country situated on the southeast of Asia. Read on to find out some interesting and fun facts about Myanmar.
London is the capital city of England and offers various places to see and things to do. Check out the various tourist attractions in London.
Tower Bridge, constructed over River Thames, is a combined bascule and suspension bridge in London. Explore more about Tower Bridge, with the fun and interesting facts provided here.
Big Ben, also known as Clock Tower, is one of the most popular structures people identify London with. Explore some interesting and fun facts about Big Ben.
The Colosseum is one of the most noteworthy landmarks of the city of Rome. Let us know some interesting & fun facts about the Colosseum, also known as Roman Coliseum.
More in 'Travel'
Shanghai is amongst the largest cities of the world. In the article, we acquaint you with numerous fun and interesting facts about Shanghai.
Istanbul, the most populous city of Europe, boasts of a wide variety of tourist attractions. Read on to know about the places to see and things to do in Istanbul.
Manali is a beautiful hill station located in the Kullu Valley of Himachal Pradesh. Explore the tourist attractions of Manali.
Sri Lanka is an island-nation off the shores of India, popularly known as ‘the Pearl of the Indian Ocean’. With this article, know some fun and interesting facts about Sri Lanka.