El Salvador is the smallest and most densely populated country in Central America. The name of the country in Spanish means ‘Republic of the Savior’. San Salvador is the capital of El Salvador, whose official language is Spanish. El Salvador, at present is a ‘Presidential Republic’ and has as its Head of State President Mauricio Funes. The US Dollar in 2001 was approved as the official currency of El Salvador, prior to this, from 1892 to 2001, the Colón was the official currency of El Salvador. As hard-to-believe as it is going to sound, the Colón still is accepted as a legal tender in El Salvador. El Salvador gained its independence from Spain in 1821 and also went on to break free from the Central American Federation in 1839. The country was also plagued with a 12-year civil war that was bought to an end in 1992, with the signing of a peace treaty between the government and the leftist rebels. El Salvador now stands as a peaceful and sovereign entity and even boasts of being one of the best democracies in the world. Plunge into these pointers to know more on the country of El Salvador.
Image: Jose Cruz@flickr
Interesting And Fun Facts About El Salvador
- El Salvador is located in Central America, between Honduras and Guatemala and borders the North Pacific Ocean.
- The country of El Salvador, in terms of geographical area occupied, is only slightly smaller than Massachusetts.
- Although El Salvador is a third world country, it still is considered to be one of the best democracies in the world.
- El Salvador experiences a tropical climate, with the rainy season beginning in May and ending in October. The dry season begins in November and extends to April.
- The El Salvadoran team made it to the FIFA World Cup championships for the first time in 1982, after ousting Mexico.
- El Salvador is known as the ‘Land of Volcanoes’, because of the perpetual risk of volcanic activity. The country has witnessed devastating earthquakes and is extremely vulnerable to hurricanes.
- El Salvador is noted for being a transshipment point for cocaine. The country is also noted for the easy availability and heightened use of the drug.
- The country’s blue and white flag was adopted during the beginning of the 20th century. The blue stripes on the flag symbolize unity, while the white stripes symbolize peace.
- El Salvadorians take their football a little too seriously. The country is the only country in the world to have waged a war over a game of soccer. The war was fought against Honduras, El Salvador’s neighbor.
- El Salvador is one of the world’s most popular surfing destinations. The country frequently hosts surfing competitions, courtesy the surfing riptides that grace the coastal waters of El Salvador.
- The Santa Anna volcano is the highest point in El Salvador.
- The famous American super model Christy Turlington, was actually from El Salvador.
- Joya de Ceren, a historical site is located in El Salvador. Joya de Ceren was declared a world heritage site by UNESCO in the early 1990’s.
- El Salvador, just like it is known for its surf, is also known all over the world for the beauty of its women.