Facts About Argentina
Argentina is a country situated in South America and comprises of a federation of twenty-three provinces and an autonomous city (Buenos Aires). The second largest country in South America and the eighth largest country of the world, in terms of size, it is being gradually recognized by people as a tourist destination, which is definitely worth a visit. The major attractions of the country comprise of natural beauty, present in the form of gushing rivers, placid lakes, 4,665 km long coastline (with many splendid beaches), cascading waterfalls and soaring mountains. To know more about Argentina, check out the fun and interesting facts given in the following lines.
Interesting Facts About Argentina
- Argentina is situated in South America and stands bordered by Paraguay and Bolivia in the north, Brazil and Uruguay in the northeast and Chile in the west and south.
- It is the eight largest country of the world, spreading over an area of approximately 2,766,890 sq km.
- Argentina comprises of the British controlled territories of the Falkland Islands, South Georgia, South Sandwich Islands and 969,464 sq km of Antarctica.
- The capital of Argentina is Buenos Aires and its official language is Spanish.
- The official religion of Argentina is Roman Catholicism.
- As per the law, the President and Vice President of Argentina should be Roman Catholics.
- Argentina is a representative federal and democratic republic, with 23 provinces and the city of Buenos Aires as the Federal Capital.
- The Iguazu Falls of Argentina are even higher than the world-famous Niagara Falls.
- Mt. Aconcagua of Argentina is the tallest mountain in the whole of South America.
- In Argentina, the highest point above sea level is in Mendoza province, at Cerro Aconcagua (6,962 m). On the other hand, the lowest point is Laguna del Carbón, which is located in Santa Cruz province - it is as low as -105 m below sea level.
- Moreno Glacier of Argentina is amongst the few glaciers in the world that are advancing.
- The popular dance form ‘Tango’ belongs to Argentina.
- Majority of the population in Argentina is of European origin.
- The cuisine of Argentina is largely influenced by that of Spain, Italy, Germany, France and other European countries.
- Patagonia is the place where the earliest evidence of human civilization in Argentina has been found.
- European explorers stepped into Argentina in the year 1516.
- The period between 1880 and 1929 is remembered as the golden time in the history of Argentina, because it was at this time that the country became know to the rest of the world, due to its prosperity. Owing to its profiting agricultural export-led economy, Argentina emerged as one of the 10 richest countries in the world, during the period.
- Taking about the Freedom of Press, Argentina boasts of being one of the countries wherein the print media industry is highly developed and independent of the government. There are more than two hundred newspapers operating from the country, without the influence of the government.
- The Argentine television industry is also quiet popular, with many local programs being broadcast by networks in other countries of the continent as well.
- Coming to the world of science and technology, a number of famous doctors, scientists and inventors are native to Argentina.
How to Cite