For people with a sweet tooth, frozen yogurt can be a mouthwatering dessert. It makes a wonderful summer treat. And for health conscious buffs who think this would be a wicked indulgence, think not! This low calorie, low fat dessert is by far a better alternative when compared to ice cream. Not only does it taste yummy, but it is easy to make and you can create your own flavors. Most of us tend to just walk up to the nearest confectionery to pick up this dessert as a take away. Yogurts sold come in an array of flavors and toppings to tease your taste buds. However, don’t you think it is a good idea to make the dish at home yourself? Not only can you experiment with flavors but the whole process can be an invigorating experience. And no, there is no hard and fast rule that applies. There is absolutely no limit to what you can add into frozen yogurt. Put anything you like at the mixing stage. It takes only minutes to combine the ingredients for lip smacking yogurt. Below are three simple but enticing recipes that you can start off with.
Homemade Frozen Yogurt Recipe
Mango Frozen Yogurt
- 2 medium mangoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- ½ orange juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 2 tablespoons rum
- ¾ cup plain low-fat yogurt, mixed
- In a blender combine the mangoes, pineapple juice, orange juice, rum, sugar and ground mace. Now puree till smooth.
- Stir in the yogurt, next.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker as per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Frozen Mango Yogurt is ready to be served.
Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
- 1 pound (450gms) strawberries, rinsed and hulled
- 2/3 cup (130gms) sugar
- 2 teaspoons vodka (Optional)
- 1 cup (240gms) plain whole milk yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Chop up the strawberries and put them in a bowl with the sugar and vodka (if using) and mix them till the sugar begins to liquefy.
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen plastic wrap and set aside for 2 hours, stirring it often.
- Blend the mixture in a food processor along with the lemon juice and vodka and puree till the mix is smooth.
- Slowly mix the blended mixture into the yogurt.
- Chill the concoction for an hour and then freeze it in an ice cream maker as per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Frozen Strawberry Yogurt is ready to serve.
Lemon-Ginger Frozen Yogurt
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 1 cup plain non-fat yogurt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- In a saucepan bring water, sugar, light corn syrup, and grated ginger to boil; stirring till all the sugar melts. Boil for two minutes.
- Strain into a bowl and allow it to cool completely.
- Whip yogurt, buttermilk, lemon juice and the lemon peel together.
- Process the mix in an ice cream maker as per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Cover and freeze.
- Lemon-Ginger Frozen Yogurt is ready to serve.