Easter bonnets are traditional decorative and attractive hats worn by girls and women on Easter Sunday, while attending the church for Easter services and Easter parades. Today, these hats are worn by children as well. One of the popular varieties of an Easter hat is the white wide-brimmed bonnet that adorns a pastel colored satin ribbon around it. Easter bonnets can be purchased from the stores or you can make one at home. This Easter, why not stay away from a plain straw hat and construct your own bonnet at home! You can use different materials to make your Easter bonnet, ranging from basic straw and boaster-style hats to homemade card creations. Read on further to find out some easy-to-make Easter bonnet ideas.
How To Make Easter Bonnets
Flower Crown Easter Bonnet
- Paper Plate
- Crayons/ Markers
- Construction Paper
- Tissue Paper
- Place the upper part of the plate facing down. The depth of plate would serve as the base for the hat to fit into the head.
- Now, color the upper part of the plate using green paint or crayon.
- Make 3 slits from one edge of the plate to the other, leaving a margin of about an inch.
- Bent the points, created by the slits, upward.
- Cut some small flowers from construction paper or tissue paper.
- Use crayons, glitter markers to further embellish the flowers.
- Attach ribbons to the paper plate such that they are trailing to the back.
- Attach the flowers to the points created by the slits to complete the paper Easter bonnet.
- White Straw Hat
- A small Bird’s Nest
- Some little Bluebirds
- Some Bluebird’s Eggs
- Blue Ribbon
- Small Twigs and Branches
- Arrange the bird’s nest, bluebirds and bluebird’s eggs around the hat and glue them.
- Glue some twigs and branches on the hat to form a bird’s nest.
- Now, glue two pieces of blue ribbons, one on each underside of the hat.
- While wearing the hat, tie the ribbons into a sweet bow under your chin to secure the bonnet.
- White Poster Board
- 1 large Doily
- Some small doilies (variety of spring colors)
- Wide Silk Ribbon
- Silk Flowers
- Cut a large circle measuring 2 to 3 feet in diameter from the large white poster board.
- Cover the cutout with the large doily.
- Place the smaller doilies over the larger one.
- Take a 36 inch silk ribbon and place it in the center of the doily hat.
- Arrange some silk flowers on the top of the bonnet and glue them carefully.
- Large Cardboard
- Fake Flowers
- Cut a shape from the cardboard, in such a way that it looks like half an oval in the front and a rounded triangle at the back.
- Carefully punch a hole on either side of the bonnet where the half-egg and rounded-triangle shapes meet.
- Cut 2 ribbons each measuring 10 inches.
- Tie the ribbons through each hole in the bonnet to allow you to securely tie the bonnet to your head.
- Now, decorate your old-fashioned bonnet with fake flowers and other embellishments.