With tattoo studios coming up at every nook and corner, the number of ink lovers is also on the rise. This form of body art that was once used to mark the identity of a groups of pirates and bikers is today to a certain extent popular with people of all age groups. From celebrities to common man, many can be seen sporting some whimsical tattoo design to be a part of the so called trendy crowd. Nevertheless, you can see many customers looking for a rework done on their existing tattoo designs of Celtic letters or barbwires which proves to be of no significance after a certain period of time. Therefore, if you intend to ink your body permanently, it is advisable to opt for a design that is significant rather than just a random design you can’t relate to later on in time. A dragon is one such tattoo design that will serve the purpose of your decision of inking your body. These mythological creatures are both beautiful and terrifying and hold an array of significance for people of different cultures. If you wish to know more on the meanings of various dragon tattoo designs, scroll down to read material on the same.
Image: Kana Yeh@flickr
Meanings Of Dragon Tattoos
- You can come across two different types of dragons’ viz. the Eastern and the Western dragons. The Eastern dragons are looked up as munificent creatures who are the protectors of life, fertility and of good fortune. On the other hand, the Western dragons are looked down upon as evil creatures known to destroy villages and guard hoards of treasures.
- When it comes to tattoos, dragons are generally represented in the oriental style and the Eastern dragon. Dragon tattoos in black with flames and fire drawn along are the commonest of all dragon tattoos. Nevertheless, if you happen to get a Chinese or Japanese dragon styles, they are quite pretty and ornate in color and shades of white and black.
- The meaning and resemblance of a dragon tattoo depends from culture to culture and on the way each person looks at the mythical creature. If you speak in general, men sport dragon tattoos to represent courage, strength, raw power and force, wisdom and reason, and protectors of the sacred items etc.
- Some men relate to the dragon and the creature’s characteristics. Therefore, they end up getting a dragon tattoo. Some of them consider themselves to be the saviors and protectors of their loved one; hence a dragon that symbolizes protection fits well in the role of a guardian.
- Women on the other hand use dragon tattoos to represent the creator, the protector of life and for the mammoth strength that the creature personifies. Women are the ones who are responsible for life as they give birth to offspring. They can be seen as creators of life, thereby the dragon tattoo representing a creator goes well on a woman’s skin. Women can associate their dragon tattoos to the protection of children, and can see the strength of the dragon embodied in them.
Dragons are well thought-out to be both the harbingers of fortune and fertility and the incarnation of the evil spirit and destroyer of homes. This supernatural creature is quite well-known in the world of tattoos and holds different meanings to different people and cultures. This piece of writing by now must have given you an insight into the world of dragon tattoos and their meanings.