It was embarrassing to hear, “your dishwasher stinks”, from a close relative when she entered your kitchen last night. You didn’t realize the foul smell, but now you want to take necessary actions to get rid of it. Like every other home appliance, dishwashers too, require a regular cleaning. Usually we leave bits and pieces of food in the plates and bowls; moreover, without bothering to scrape or rinse the food, we put the dishes into the dishwasher. After a certain time, these bits of food, along with grease and soap scum, gets accumulated in corners and crevices of the dishwasher, and further poses the problems of dire appearance and odor. To get rid of all such problems, check out the provided tips regarding how to clean a dishwasher.
- First of all, start with a small brush and clean the dishwasher’s door watching out the grooves and crevices, after dipping it in hot soapy water.
- Scrub well the entire dishwasher. To remove dry filth, you might require a scrubber as well.
- Whatever has been left with the brush, try to wipe out using a household sponge dipped in hot soapy water. Examine the door from inside and scrub the areas where you can find stuck-on food.
- Take out the bottom rack and inspect the drain area. Wipe the entire area and make sure that there are no hard chunks which can block the drain, cause damage to the pump or scratch dishes.
- Use a clean wet sponge to wipe the cleaning solution from the dishwasher, including the gasket and the door.
- Subsequently place a plain white vinegar filled dishwasher-safe cup on the dishwasher’s top rack. By means of the hottest water obtainable, run the dishwasher through a cycle. Ensure that the dishwasher is empty except for the cup of vinegar.
- Vinegar would lend a hand to wash away the loose, greasy grunge. It will sanitize, and remove the stale odor from the dishwasher.
- Baking soda could be another substitute for vinegar. It will not only freshen but also brighten your dishwasher. Simply sprinkle a cupful of baking soda around the tub’s bottom and run it through a cycle using the hottest water. It will also remove the stains and make your dishwasher sparkling.