The first and foremost reason for setting up a dining room is to create a place where people can have food. Along with that, it is often the place where people host breakfasts, luncheons and dinners. In other words, dining room is meant to serve as a space for having food as well as conversation. Amongst the basic aspects of a room's décor is the color used throughout, on walls, for linen, in accessories, and so on. Colors are believed to affect our minds as well as social interactions. Thus, before setting up a dining room, you need to consider the colors that you are using therein and the effect they will have on the people who use the room. Otherwise, you might end up with guests who eat hardly a fraction of you serve and rarely feel like having a conversation.
Paint Colors for Dining Room
- Orange is a color that is associated with stimulating the appetite. At the same time, it is thought to aid digestion. You can also use different shades of orange, such as peach and apricot, for your dining room. If you don’t want to use orange to a major extent, such as for painting the walls, incorporate it into things like napkins and tablecloths.
- Warm colors such as gold also work well for a dining room, as they create an inviting look. In case of a room that does not receive much natural lighting in the day; you can use a warm color on the wall and finish it with a glaze. This will make the room look pleasing during the day and at night; the indoor lighting or candlelight will create a warm glow against the walls.
- If you want to give a formal look to your dining room, keeping it subdued, then colors such as deep beiges and browns will be just perfect. Being earth tones, they are said to create a nurturing and supportive environment. Such colors, when used in dining room, calm your whole system while enjoying a meal.
- The color red is often associated with devouring and is also believed to increase metabolism. This makes it one of the best choices for a dining room. However, you need to remember that red is also associated with aggression, so avoid using the color in excess.
- Yellow and cream are the other colors that go well with the overall purpose of a dining room i.e. to eat and socialize. Yellow, being a sociable hue, is believed to stimulate conversation at the dinner table. Cream, on the other hand, is quite soothing and creates a restful atmosphere. However, some shades of yellow can be affected by light, turning into a displeasing shade of green. So, make sure to use the color cautiously.
Colors To Be Avoided
- Blue is one of the colors that should definitely be avoided in a dining room. Since one can find very little blue food in nature, the color works as an appetite suppressant. It might make people feel less hungry and is thus, best avoided.
- The shades of pink and violet are also to be avoided in the dining room. This is because, just like blue, they are also considered to repress the appetite of a person.