Detoxification is the process through which our body eliminates toxins. You may now wonder; how do the toxins exactly form in our body? Toxins are either produced in the body, during the process of breakdown of protein and chemicals, or get inside it involuntarily, mainly when a person inhales and ingests pesticides, household cleaners, food additives, drugs, pollution, cigarette smoke, and the like. These toxins are deposited in the fat cells of our body and get eliminated later on, through sweating, excretion, and other such processes.
If a person consumes a diet deficient in the necessary nutrients, the ability of his body to detoxify chemicals gets impaired, resulting in a build-up of toxins. In such a case, a detox diet helps minimize the amount of chemicals ingested, by increasing the frequency of bowel movements and urination. If you are planning to go on a detox diet for a day or two, make sure that your menu, right from breakfast to dessert, comprises of the correct food items. In the following lines, we have provided some detox diet recipes that would help you plan your day.
Detox Diet Menu
Scrambled Eggs, With Red Pepper & Black Beans
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1/4 cup Red Pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp Red Onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tbsp Cilantro, minced
- 1/4 cup Black Beans, cooked
- 2 tbsp Salsa
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Whole Cilantro Leaves (for garnish)
- The first step would be to put the egg whites in a mixing bowl and whisk them well. Now, keep it aside.
- In a nonstick frying pan, add red pepper, red onion and cilantro and sauté the mixture, over medium heat, until the ingredients turn soft.
- Now, add black beans and salsa to the above mixture and heat it thoroughly.
- Pour the whisked egg whites over the sautéed vegetables and beans. Make sure you stir the mixture constantly, while pouring, until the eggs turn firm.
- Spice up the yummy delight with salt, pepper and some additional salsa. Garnish it with some whole cilantro leaves.
Arugula Salad with Grilled Chicken Breast and Apricots
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 - 3 ounce Organic Chicken Breast, boneless and skinless
- 3 Apricots, pitted and halved
- 1 cup Baby Arugula
- 1 cup mixed Baby Greens
- 1/4 cup Maui Onion, shaved
- 1 tbsp fresh Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a zip-lock bag, put chicken breast and pour a tbsp each of lime juice and olive oil on top. Lock the bag and let it marinate over night.
- The next morning, grill the chicken breast until it is done.
- Now, grill the apricots as well, until the grill lines form on them. Keep them aside, to cool.
- Meanwhile, mix arugula, greens and Maui onion, in a large mixing bowl.
- When this is done, slice the apricot in halves and add to bowl.
- Add a tbsp each of lime juice and virgin olive oil to the bowl and mix well.
- The salad is ready. Put it in a serving dish.
- The last step would be to chop the chicken breast, diagonally, in half inch pieces. Serve them on top of the salad.
Mini Turkey Loaf with Roasted Spaghetti Squash
Ingredients (Marinara Sauce)
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 clove Garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 1 can Plum Tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil, finely minced
Instructions (Marinara Sauce)
- Pour some olive oil in a saucepan and heat it. Add garlic and onion to the hot oil and sauté until they turn golden in color.
- Now, add tomatoes and basil to the pan and simmer, until the mixture becomes thick. Remove from flame.
- The marinara sauce is ready to use.
Ingredients (Spaghetti Squash)
- 1/2 Spaghetti Squash, seeds removed
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
Instructions (Spaghetti Squash)
- To make spaghetti squash, you need to preheat the oven at 375 degrees.
- Rub the cut edge of squash with olive oil.
- Now, place the squash on the baking sheet, with the cut side facing down.
- Put the sheet in oven and bake for about 45 minutes, until squash is soft.
- Using a fork, separate strands of 'spaghetti'.
- Toss it with Marinara Sauce (prepared before).
Ingredients (Turkey Loaf)
- 4 ounces Organic Turkey Breast, ground
- 2 tbsp Red Onion, finely chopped
- 1 small Clove Garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Basil, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Oregano, finely minced
- 1/4 tsp Fennel Seeds
- Dash of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Egg White
Instructions (Turkey Loaf)
- To prepare turkey loaf, preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
- Take a large mixing bowl and mix all the ingredients in it.
- Now, take amini-loaf pan and pour the mixture in it. Press to settle.
- Put the pan in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve the loaf with Spaghetti Squash (prepared before).
White Peaches and Blueberries in Vanilla Bean Kefir
- 3/4 cup Plain Kefir
- 1 Vanilla Bean, sliced in half - lengthwise
- 1 tbsp Erythritol
- 1 ripe White Peach, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup Blueberries
- Take a mixing bowl and pour kefir into it.
- Scuff out the seed from one half of the vanilla beans.
- Now, add the scraped seeds and erythritol to kefir. Mix well and keep it aside, to let the flavor blend.
- Take a custard dish and arrange the peach slices in bottom.
- Pour half the kefir over peach slices and cover the dish with a saran wrap.
- Freeze the dish, until it is slightly frozen.
- When the mixture had frozen, take it out from the refrigerator and place blueberries on top of it. Pour the other half of the kefir over the berries.
- Cover the dish again, with a saran wrap, and re-freeze.
- Before serving, garnish it with peach slices and blueberries.