Summer vacations have kick-started and it is the time to come up with some interesting activities for the kids. To beat the scorching summer heat, you may indulge your children in interesting craft making sessions, games and activities like painting, reading books and fishing. This way, you will ensure that the kids spend their leisure time prolifically. While choosing the activities for the little ones, you should consider some factors, such as, their age, general interest and their limitations. If brainstorming for the perfect ideas is your difficulty, read the article. Check out some cool summer activities for children, in the following lines.
Fun Summer Activity Ideas For Kids
Smile Mr. Sun
- Card Board or Poster Board Circle
- Yellow Paint
- Tissue Paper (yellow/orange)
- Yellow Streamers
- Gold Glitter
- Construction Paper (optional)
- The first step would be cut the brown cardboard in a circular shape. Now, paint it in yellow.
- The next step would be to crumple little squares of tissue. Stick these squares onto the circle, in such a way that it covers the entire circle.
- Now, stick the yellow streamers so that they form rays of the sun. Make sure that they are stuck in unison and look artistic. Let the length of each of the strips be equal.
- Lastly, glue the gold glitter all over the circle so that it adds sparkle and shine to the sun.
Solar System Model
- Round Cardboard (about 1 ft across)
- Colorful Construction Paper
- Pencil, Crayons, or Markers
- Compass (for making circles)
- The first step would be to find the center of the circle. Using a pencil and scale, draw two lines, one horizontally and one vertically across the round cardboard. Once the center point has been achieved, mark it as this would be the position of the sun.
- Now, using the compass, draw nine circles on the round cardboard. While drawing the circle, keep in mind that the first four orbits are relatively close to the sun and the next five are a little far away.
- Now, with the sharp point of the scissors, punch a series of hole. While one would be right at the center, the rest of the nine holes would be somewhere on each circle.
- Once this is done, cut the construction paper into ten circles. The sun should be the biggest. Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune must be a bit smaller than the sun while the rest a further smaller. Do not forget to name each of the circles.
- Attach strings to each of the planet. Now, thread the circles into the cardboard holes. In case, you are not aware of the alignment of the planets, ask your mom or elder sibling.
- In case you want to hang the model, tie three pieces of string to the top of the cardboard and then, knot them together. Your model solar system is ready!!
Play With Water
Buy a plastic pool for kids and fill it with fresh, cool water. Put some aquatic life toys inside the pool so that the kids enjoy playing with water. You may also provide them cheap plastic water guns to play with. For older kids, the best way to enjoy playing with water is a larger set up. Set up a water volleyball game, with a pool net and inflatable beach volley balls.
Draw a large box on the pavement, with a tic-tac-toe grid drawn inside it. Now, ask the first player to toss a pebble into one of the squares of the tic-tac-toe grid. If the pebble lands into one of the squares, then he/she should mark the space with 'X'. A player, whose pebble lands on any of the lines of the grid, shall be considered out of the game. The player, who first fills three squares in a row, shall be declared the winner of the game.
- Drawing: Paper painting is a very interesting summer activity, which would keep the kids engaged for a long time. Supply them with all the essentials - colors, pencil and drawing sheets.
- Learning Colors & Shapes: If the kids are very young, then making them learn shapes and colors will be a good idea. To serve the purpose, make an assortment of colorful beads (of different shapes) and help the kids distinguish the colors and the shapes.
- Fishing: Go fishing with the children, in the evening on a weekend. Take all the supplies with you - fishing rods and baits and then head towards the nearest lake or pond. Apart from chilling out outdoors, the kids will come closer to nature and learn many things about what is life.
- Gardening: Gardening is a nice pastime during the summer season. Bring some outdoor plants and help the children to learn planting.
- Reading: Reading books is not just a habit, but also a recreational activity, which is perfectly suitable for small children. Buy them some story books to read. Make sure that the book reading session is not too long, so that the kids do not get bored of the activity.