There was a time when curtains used to be the only option for covering the windows, whether for ensuring privacy or blocking off the sunlight. However, with time, various new window treatments came to be available in the market, of which shades count amongst the popular options. Apart from being cost-effective, they have the ability to darken a room almost completely. Along with that, they are easy to hang as well. If you have also opted for window shades in your room and are looking for ways to clean them up, this is just the article for you. Go through the following lines and know all about cleaning window shades
How To Clean Window Shades
- Vacuum Cleaner
- Upholstery Attachment
- Mild Cleaning Detergent
- Blanket or Other Drop Cloth
- Clean, Damp Cloth
- Clean, Dry Cloth
- Step Ladder or Chair
- In order to clean the window shades, you will have to unroll them as far as you can, while still having them hang from the window.
- Now, attach an upholstery cleaning tool to the vacuum cleaner and lightly vacuum the surface of the shade, starting from the top and working your way to the bottom.
- In case your window shades are made from vinyl, you can use water and a mild cleaning detergent, for cleaning them up.
- Find a clean, open space in your house, where you will clean the vinyl shade. Now, cover the floor with a blanket or other drop cloth.
- Remove the vinyl shade from the window and roll it over the blanket/ drop cloth especially spread for the purpose.
- Get a bucket and fill it with warm water. Now, add a mild cleaning detergent to the water and mix well. You can also refer to the instructions written on detergent package, to ascertain the ratio of water to cleaning solution.
- Dip a soft, damp cloth in the cleaning solution and use it to wipe the shade, working from one end and going to the other.
- After you have cleaned one side of the window shade, it the time to wipe it with another soft cloth (this time dry).
- Now, place the window shade in a room that receives proper ventilation and let it dry completely.
- Flip over the shade and repeat the entire cleaning process. Again, make sure that the surface of the shade gets completely dry.
- Hang the clean, dry shade in the window opening and admire its spotless appearance!
- While cleaning the window, consider the option of using an outdoor space, since the sunlight and air will quicken the drying process. However, do make sure that the area is clean and free of dirt.
- If you do not have a large open space, inside or outside your house, it is advisable to clean the shade in sections. Roll out a small area, clean it and then move to the next section.