Is the sight of the carpet in your living room making you sick? Do not panic there are a number of ways following which you can easily clean your carpets at home. Carpets and rugs play a vital role in the home décor and are important accessories to beautify your space with. You can change the look of your house completely, depending on the type of carpet you use in your house. Apart from decoration, carpets and rugs keep the house warm in winters, helping you to create a cozy playing area for the kids as well. However, one should keep in mind that these exquisite pieces of beautification require care and maintenance. Thus, to restore the harmony of your personal haven, try out the carpet cleaning tips given below.
Routine cleaning is the basic thing to start with. To make your carpets last long follow the routine cleaning steps given below:
- Vacuum your carpets at least once a week, to avoid the accumulation of dirt and building up of gritty particles, which can cut the fiber. You can also use a crevice tool to clean your carpets in hard to reach places.
- In case of wall to wall carpeting, divide the area into quadrants, cleaning each area carefully and then switch over to another.
- To remove the deeply embedded dirt, take time while vacuuming your carpet. Vacuum each section slowly, several times, allowing suction to eradicate all the obdurate stains.
- Special attention should be paid to the areas where people sit and walk. Use crisscross patterns of overlapping strokes for cleaning the carpet thoroughly.
- Apply soil retardants to new carpets or to newly cleaned carpets. However, apply soil retardants only with professional equipment, following the recommended application techniques.
- To avoid odor, add baking soda to the bag in your vacuum.
Removal of Stain
In case you have a stain on your carpet you should be careful while cleaning it. First and foremost, remove all the solid particles on the carpet. Blot the stain with a clean and dry cloth to remove any grease and liquid. After the stain is dry, apply a cleaning solution on it. However, test the cleaner by applying on a small area, to ensure it does not damage your carpet. You can even use house hold products like club soda, peroxide and ammonia to remove stains, depending on the kind of stain you have.
While applying the cleaning solution, do not rub it, as this will push the stain further, in the fiber. Blot the solution on the stain till it gets removed. Once the stain is gone, rinse the area with clean water and let it dry. Use peroxide for blood stains while club soda for stains of juice, ink and coffee. However, keep in mind the material and fabric of your carpet and the type of stain, before applying any cleaning solution on it. There are a number of products available in the market meant for different types of carpets and stains. So choose wisely and keep your carpets stain free!