The flaky crust and delicious filling of a chicken pot pie makes it one of the most relished dishes in the present times. It is a mouthwatering dish, which can be served with salad as well. The filling used for making the pot pie mainly comprises of chicken, along with mixed vegetables. The egg-wash, also one of the ingredients, enhances the taste and provides a light brown coat to the baked pie. Though involving a long process, chicken pot pie can be made easily, if the recipe is followed systematically. Go through the following lines and know how to make chicken pot pie.
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 Chicken (whole)
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Celery Stalk
- 1 small Onion, cut into two equal halves
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter, chilled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- ¼ cup Vegetable Shortening, chilled
- 4 tbsp Ice Water
- 6 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 large Onion, cut into cubes
- 3 Carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 3 Celery Stalks, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1and ½ cup Milk
- 1 tsp fresh Thyme Leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup Dry Sherry
- 3/4 cup frozen Green Peas
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley, minced
- 2 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper ground
- In a large pot, combine chicken, carrot, celery, onion.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Pour cold water on the mixture, until just covered.
- Place the pot on high flame and boil it.
- Bring the heat to simmer and continue cooking for the next 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the water and vegetables mixture. Transfer it into a bowl and allow it to cool for the next 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, continue boiling the water and vegetables mixture in the pot.
- After the chicken is cooled, separate the bones and the meat.
- Transfer the meat to a dish and set it aside for later use.
- Put the bones in the water-vegetables mixture and boil it on high flame, until the quantity of stock is reduced to quart and a half.
- After reducing the stock, cool it.
- Refrigerate the stock and reserve for later use.
Dough For The Pie Crust
- Prepare dough by mixing together flour and salt.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl and then add the butter cubes.
- Knead the dough and add the shortening.
- By this time, the dough will look like a coarse cornmeal.
- Now, sprinkle ice water on the dough, one tbsp at a time, kneading after each addition.
- Transfer the dough onto a flat clean surface and mold it into a ball.
- Flatten the ball of the dough, to form a disk.
- Add a little flour to the disk, wrap it with a plastic wrap and refrigerate it for half an hour.
- Melt butter in a pan.
- Add onion, chopped celery stalk and carrots to the butter.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, on medium flame.
- While stirring, add the flour and cook for one more minute.
- Add chicken stock and milk and cook for the next 10 minutes, on simmer.
- Add the chicken meat, peas, parsley, dry sherry, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Stir the mixture well.
- Transfer the warm filling into a ramekin.
- Roll out the dough, on a lightly floured surface, to a quarter-inch thick disks.
- Cut the dough slightly larger than the circumference of the ramekins.
- Place one of the dough disks in the pie pan and put the filling on top.
- Cover the filling with dough. Fold down the excess dough and press it against the edge of the ramekin.
- Coat the pie with beaten egg, mixed with 1 tbsp cold water.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and grease it with butter.
- Place the pie on the sheet and bake it for about 25 minutes, until the pie is golden brown.
- Allow the pie to cool for about five minutes, before serving.