Barbeque (BBQ) sauce is a liquid condiment that, as its name suggests, is served along with barbeque foods. The consistency of the sauce can vary from watery to very thick. In Bourbon barbecue sauce, bourbon (a type of distilled spirit, made from corn and generally known as American whiskey) is used as the key ingredient. Best consumed with poultry, beef and pork, the sauce can also serve as a dipping item for fries as well as a liquid flavoring for barbeque-style pizzas. However, instead of buying a bottled Bourbon barbecue sauce from the supermarket, you can prepare it easily at home as well. In case you don’t believe us, check out the recipe given below and know how to make Bourbon barbecue sauce.
How To Make Homemade Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup Bourbon
- 4 cups Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 2 medium Onions (chopped)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (crushed)
- 3 Green Chilies (seeded and finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Dry Mustard
- Ground Black Pepper
- Melt butter in a sauce pan. Add chopped onions to the melted butter and sauté them well.
- After the onions become golden-brown in color, add green chilies and garlic. Cook the mixture, over medium flame, for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and add all the other ingredients, except Bourbon. Stir well, after each addition.
- Cook the ingredients for the next ten minutes, over simmer.
- Stir in Bourbon and cook for five more minutes. This will give the right texture to the barbeque sauce.
- Remove the Bourbon barbeque sauce from the flame and transfer it to a bowl, to cool down a bit.
- After the sauce has cooled down completely, pour it in a clean plastic or a glass jar.
- Label the jar and store it in a cool, dry and dark place, away from direct sunlight.
- 1/2 Onion (minced)
- 4 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 3/4 cup Bourbon Whiskey
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tbsp Salt
- 2 cups Ketchup
- 1/4 cup Tomato Paste
- 1/3 cup Cider Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Liquid Smoke Flavoring
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/3 tsp Hot Pepper Sauce
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and put a combination of onion, garlic and whiskey in the skillet for heating.
- Simmer the mixture for a short period of time, say 10 minutes, or until the onion becomes translucent in appearance.
- Stir in ground black pepper, salt, ketchup, tomato paste, vinegar, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and hot pepper sauce. Mix these ingredients well and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for 20 minutes, after bringing down the heat to medium-low.
- If you prefer a smoother version of the sauce, you can run it through a strainer.