You threw a party last night at your house, and after your guests left you found crumbs and food scattered on your much loved leather chesterfield and coffee stains on your fine-looking Persian carpet. No matter what, your upholstery is thoroughly abused every day. It is exposed to stains and dirt and damage every single day. Upholstery is an important part of your home interiors that you carefully handpick to reflect your taste and style. However, spoiled and stained upholstery looks unsightly and damages the overall appearance of your home. In such a situation, you might wonder how to keep your upholstery sparking new. Don’t panic! To maintain the brand new look of your upholstery, make it a habit to clean your upholstery on a regular basis. Even so, while choosing upholstery cleaner, pick the product that best suits your purpose. While not all upholstery fabrics are the same, all cleaning products also do not work equally well. Your carpet cleaner will not be able to remove coffee spills from your leather chesterfield as effectively as a leather cleaning formulation. To learn more about different upholstery cleaners, read through the sections that follow.
Upholstery Cleaning Agents
- Take 5 cups of water, 2/3 cup baking soda, ¼ cup vinegar, 1/3 cup ammonia, and 10 drops of essential oil and mix all the ingredients till the baking soda dissolves completely. You can increase the proportion of the ingredients if you have more upholstery to clean. Pour the concoction into a spray bottle and dilute it with water. Spray your upholstery with this liquid, concentrating on the stains. Rub the stained areas with a soft cloth and repeat the process once more for deep stubborn stains.
- To keep your upholstery free from dirt and mites, vacuum clean them every day.
- Upholstery cleaning machines can be dear, but are definitely worth the investment.
- For deep cleaning your upholstery, use a scrub brush to remove the dirt. Next, use your upholstery cleaning machine to clean it in detail.
- To remove deep stains from your upholstery, rub the blemished spot with the upholstery cleaner mentioned earlier with a soft brush. Allow the cleaner to sit for a few minutes so that the cleaner can penetrate deep into the stain. Then, wipe the area with a damp sponge and finally dry the area with a soft cloth.
- Use a light brush to get rid of accumulated dirt from your upholstery fabric.
- To get rid of obstinate coffee stains, first spill a few drops of water on the stain to reduce the concentration of the stain. Then mix vinegar and a mild detergent with water and dab it on the stain. Alternatively, you may also use any good quality cleaning solvent.
Tips For Choosing Upholstery Cleaner
- Each upholstery fabric is different from the other and so their cleaners are different as well. The cleaner that works well for a carpet won’t work for leather upholstery. So choose the cleaner according to the type of fabric.
- Upholstery cleaner should also depend on the type of the stain. A grease stain and a coffee stain are not the same. Therefore, the cleaner for each type of stain should be different as well.
- Always consult the manufacturer’s instruction before picking up upholstery cleaner.
- Although there are plenty of upholstery cleaners readily available in the market, you can make your own cleaner by using material available in your pantry. Having your own homemade cleaner not only saves you a few bucks, but it is effective and environment friendly as well.