Benefits Of Lemon
A lemon is a yellow fruit with an aromatic rind and a tangy and acidic flavor. Though many assign its origin to India and China, the exact history of the fruit remains a mystery till date. Squashed either as lemonade, or simply used as a cooking or garnishing ingredient; lemons are very high in nutritional value. Besides, many spirit-lovers will love to swear by lemons, when it comes to mixing and matching cocktails and mocktails. Due to their therapeutic powers, lemons are also popular in the field of traditional medicines. The following article spells out the various health and nutritional benefits associated with eating lemons.
Nutritional Value of Lemons
Given below is the amount of nutrients present in 100g portion of the fruit.
- Energy - 30 kcal
- Water - 89 g
- Carbohydrates - 9g
- Fat - 0.3 g
- Sugar - 2.5 g
- Dietary fiber - 2.8 g
- Protein - 1.1 g
- Vitamin C - 53 mg
- Citric Acid - 5g
- Trace amounts of selenium, zinc, manganese and copper
Health & Nutrition Benefits of Eating Lemons
- Lemon juice mixed with hot water is effective in curing problems like digestive disorders, nausea, heartburn and biliousness.
- Lemons are also beneficial for alleviating problems of the lower intestines like constipation and worm infestations.
- Regular consumption of lemon juice in the morning stimulates the bile-producing capacity of liver and helps in digestion.
- Concentrated juice of lemon also helps in dissolving stones present in the gall bladder.
- The high vitamin C content of lemons treats infections like asthma, tonsillitis and sore throat.
- Eating lemons also hastens healing of wounds and helps to lower high body temperature.
- When applied on the skin, lemon juice also helps in removing suntan. You can also add a few drops of lemon juice in your bath water to freshen up your day.
- Lemon is also a well-known diuretic. Thus, it helps to treat problems associated with urinary tract infections.
- Eating lemons also helps to dispel problems like arthritis or rheumatism.
- Lemon juice mixed with glycerin is an effective remedy for smoothening chapped lips.
- Mixed with coffee, lemon juice turns out to be a very effective concoction for treating problems like malaria and headaches.
- A few drops of lemon juice dabbed on a cotton ball and applied to nostrils helps to stop nose bleeding.
- Gently massaging concentrated juice on the gums helps to cure problems of gum bleeding.
- Concentrated lemon balms are helpful for curing cough, colds, high blood pressure, high fever, dizziness and menstrual cramps.
How to Cite