Acupressure is a form of physiotherapy that aims to heal different ailments by adding pressure to the key points above the surface of the skin, with the help of fingers. The key points when pressed, release a muscular strain, thereby enhancing circulation of blood and assisting in the healing of the body. Considered as the most efficient way of treating illnesses, acupressure can be done by self in a very safe way. Some common acupressure methods include rubbing, kneading, percussion and vibration. It is done by massaging various parts of the body, such as hands, elbows, knees and feet, while sitting, standing or lying down. Different instruments are also used for performing acupressure that include acu ball, energy roller, foot roller, power mat and spine roller. Read on to know the different health benefits of acupressure.
Health Benefits Of Acupressure
- Acupressure is known to benefit patients suffering from spondylitis, arthritis, muscular pain in the arm and neck, frozen shoulders, unexplained backaches, slipped discs, osteoarthritis and other disorders of the tissues, bones, joints and muscles.
- The acupressure therapy is also known to relieve pain and discomfort caused by sports and athletics.
- Recent studies state that acupressure therapy shows remarkable effects in treating neurological disorders such as paralysis of the face, migraine headaches, partial paralysis, peripheral neurological disorders, epilepsy, vertigo, multiple sclerosis, muscular and diseases of the nervous system, and so on.
- The therapy also benefits partially disabled patients in easing their stressed and stiff limbs.
- Acupressure is highly beneficial to children, due to its usefulness in treating conditions such as stress, sleeplessness, congestion of the chest due to cold or flu, bed wetting and constipation.
- Acupressure helps women issues such as postmenstrual trauma, menopause and pregnancy by alleviating symptoms, like irritability, pains during periods, mood swings, hot flushes, back pain, nausea, sciatica, pubic symphysis dysfunction and much more.
- Stress is a common problem faced by men and women of all ages in today’s busy life. It gives rise to various symptoms ranging from headaches, fatigue, insomnia, muscle tension, irritable bowel syndrome, indigestion and nausea. Acupressure therapy effectively helps in relieving these stress related problems, thereby ensuring a tension-free life.
- Acupressure is also known to cure respiratory diseases like asthma, sinusitis, bronchitis and common colds. It also effectively treats conjunctivitis, short sightedness and cataract.
- Tooth aches, pains caused after tooth extraction, gum problems like bleeding gums, kidney stones, liver disorders and heart related disorders are some other problems that are treated with acupressure.
- In case you are on certain medications, you should consult your doctor before proceeding with acupressure therapy.
- Extreme care should be taken by pregnant women, since certain point can induce labor. This can turn out to be dangerous especially in the second trimester or early half of the third trimester.
- In case you are not well versed with the technique, it is always better to look out for well-trained and certified professionals to get acupressure performed.