Beetroot is a storehouse of health benefits. It is an excellent source of fiber with few calories and almost no fat. Traditionally beetroot was thought to increase the blood in the body, no doubt because of its dark red color. While this has been found to be true, beetroot has many other benefits that boosts up the health and also keep the body in top shape. Adding to that it is now being said that beetroot has many anti-carcinogenic properties, probably in their red coloring matter. What many people don’t know is that the leaves of the beetroot are also edible and it is rich in iron and foliate along with beta-carotene. It is also rich in antioxidant and so regular consumption of beetroots can ward off many diseases. The juice of the beetroot is excellent for the health of the skin, and those people who are looking for a glowing skin should definitely include beetroot in their daily diet, as it is also a very good cleansing agent. In your diet you can have the beetroot as a salad or you can also steam, bake, boil or stir-fry it. The best undoubtedly is if you eat the beetroot raw. Given below in the article are various benefits of beetroot that you would like to know.
Nutrition & Health Benefits Of Beetroot
- Beetroot is very effective in lowering the cholesterol. The beetroot fiber reduces the serum cholesterol and the triglyceride levels to a significant extent. It also increases the High Density Lipoproteins or good cholesterol.
- Beetroot also reduces the blood pressure. Beetroot increases the plasma nitrite concentration, which reduces the blood pressure. Beetroot has been found to reduce the blood pressure 3 hours after ingestion.
- The presence of plasma homocysteine aggravates the various cardiovascular diseases. As such, betaine, which is a nutrient found in beetroots, lowers this. The betaine supplements, however, increases the Low Density Lipoproteins and so it is better to take the beetroots fresh.
- Beetroot helps in keeping the liver healthy because of the action of the bioactive agent betaine.
- Though still under study, preliminary tests indicate that consumption of beetroot can very effectively prevent lung and skin cancer. It has been found out that the cancer causing compound like nitrosamines is inhabited by the beetroot compounds.
- Beetroot is also an excellent detoxifier. It cleans the liver, gall bladder and the kidneys. The antioxidant enzymes in beetroots eliminate the toxic substances from the body and also protect the liver cells.
- A series of studies have shown that beetroot increases the stamina. The nitrates present in beetroot make the cells take in less oxygen and so increase the stamina.
- Consumption of beetroot also increases the blood cell count. So, it is a very good option for anemic people as it is also a rich source of iron. Beetroot also purifies the blood and strengthens the immune system to ward of common diseases.
- Beetroot can also be used in the treatment of jaundice, hepatitis, nausea, and vomiting.
- Taking beetroot juice along with a tablespoon of honey, every morning can even heal gastric ulcers. The juice of beetroot juice is also very effective in treating gastric ulcers and jaundice.
- Beetroot is rich in fibers and so its regular consumption can give relief from constipation and piles.
- Another important benefit of beetroot is that it is very good in curing many skin disorders. Using the water in which white beetroot has been boiled is very effective in curing the skin against boils, skin inflammation, pimples and pustules. To treat the skin irritation mix three part of beetroot water with one part of white vinegar and sponge the entire body.
- Massaging the scalp with beetroot juice mixed with white vinegar is very effective in removing the dandruff.