Quiche makes up one of the most popular recipes of the French cuisine, which is popular throughout the world today. Basically a baked dish, it comprises of a pastry crust, which usually has custard (made from eggs and milk or cream) as its filling. Apart from that, cooked chopped meat, vegetables, or cheese might be added to the quiche filling. Before starting with the various variations of the French recipe, you first need to learn how to make the basic quiche. The rest, then, becomes easy. In the following lines, we have detailed the basic quiche recipe, just for you. Go through and know how to make the French dish.
How To Make A Quiche
- 4 Eggs
- 2 cups Half-and-Half Cream (1 cup Cream and 1 cup Whole Milk)
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp White Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 4 ounces Jarlsberg Cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 1 (9 inch) Unbaked Pie Shell
- Take a large bowl and in it, beat together eggs and half-and-half cream.
- Add salt, white pepper and nutmeg to the mixture and mix well.
- In the pie shell, place shredded Jarlsberg and mozzarella cheese.
- Pour egg mixture over the cheese.
- Preheat oven to 425o F (220o C).
- Place the pie shell in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Now, lower the heat to 350o F (175o C) and bake the pie for another 25 minutes, or until crust is golden.
- The basic quiche is ready. Allow it to set for 5 to 10 minutes, before serving.
- 3/4 cup All-purpose Flour
- 6 tbsp Cold Butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 5 tsp Cold Water
- First of all, you need to sift the flour, into a large bowl.
- Now, sprinkle the chopped butter on the flour and rub it in. Keep on rubbing the two, until the mixture starts resembling bread crumbs.
- Add grated cheese to the mixture and mix well.
- Add water to the flour mixture, one teaspoon at a time. Make sure to keep stirring the flour, lightly, with a fork.
- Keep on adding the water and stirring, till the time the dough forms a ball and cleanly leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Cover the dough with a plastic wrap and keep it inside the fridge. Let it refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat an oven to 375o F (190o C).
- In the meantime, roll out the dough with a rolling pin, enough to cover a 9 inch pie/quiche pan.
- With the help of a fork, prick holes over the bottom of the pastry.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake the crust for 10 minutes, before filling it with quiche custard of your choice.