When it comes to smelly houses, people can be classified into three intrinsic categories. The first are the diplomats. They reluctantly step in and spray jasmine deodorant when you’re not looking or count the seconds till they find an escape. The second are the trumpeters. They scurry away seconds after one slight sniff. Incorrigible as they are, they will announce it to the rest of the world in an attempt to bring you and your house down. And at last, the clueless! Sadly, a rarity, they lounge around your quarters for hours or days with absolutely no complaints. Either they have no place to be or they suffer from an impaired sense of smell. But why care? We just wish that more of them were available. However, there’s absolutely no need to panic. If you are wary of commercial air fresheners containing numerous chemicals, making air fresheners at home is a piece of cake! ‘Make Your Own Fresh Air’! Read this section to avail of a few homemade air freshener recipes that will endlessly gratify your nose and possibly convert your home into an aromatic Shangri-la.
Homemade Air Fresheners Recipes
Lemon Air Freshener Spray
- 2 cups hot Water
- 1/8 cup Baking Soda
- ½ cup Lemon juice
- Few drops of Essential Oil
- Spray Can / Bottle
- Dissolve the baking soda in hot water.
- Add lemon juice to the mixture.
- Shake well as you insert the mixture into the spray can.
- Whip it up with vinegar and a dozen drops of your favourite essential oil to impart the spectacular fragrance to your home.
- Decorate your air freshener containers with doily coverings at the top held in place with fancy ring lids.
- Sprinkles of ground Cinnamon
- Sprinkles of ground Clove
- Orange peels
- Toss the sprinkles of ground cinnamon and cloves into pan of hot water.
- Drop the orange peels into it.
- Turn on the stove as low as possible.
- Wait for the mixture to heat up and your house will reek of a divine aroma.
- 1 tsp Vanilla flavour
- Scrap of Foil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Turn up the edges of a small piece of foil.
- Pour in a teaspoon of vanilla on top of the foil.
- Place the foil in the oven.
- Turn off oven and prop the door open a bit.
- 2 cups liquid Potpourri
- 4 individual envelopes of unflavoured Gelatine
- 2 tbsp Salt
- Heat-safe containers
- Heat 1 ½ cups of the liquid potpourri mixed with salt to a simmer in a saucepan that isn’t used for daily cooking.
- Add gelatine to the heated mixture.
- Stir until thoroughly dissolved.
- Extinguish the heat supply.
- Add the remaining ½ of the liquid potpourri and stir until it completely combines well.
- Carefully pour the gel into the heat safe containers and allow it to cool thoroughly.
- Decorate by submerging pretty seashells into the air freshening gel.
- 10 drops of favourite scented oil (e.g.: eucalyptus/ vinegar)
- 2 cups of Water
- 2 drops of unscented liquid dish soap
- Food coloring (optional)
- Mix the drops of oil with the water (adjustments can be made if required) and heat the combination.
- Add 2 drops of unscented liquid dish soap to make dissolving easier.
- Use food coloring, either liquid or paste, to change the color of the water, if you so desire.